Whitehouse: Step out of your comfort zone

Photobucket

Use of public transportation and walking are very common modes of transportation in

London. Because of the sheer size of the city, I occasionally get lost riding the Tube or

walking the streets. (Ray Whitehouse/The Daily Northwestern)

Every day, my understanding of the world changes in some way. Whether its a better understanding of an academic subject or a more nuanced view of social interaction, something changes each day. Being in London has put these changes on steroids.

For example, the keys to succeed academically are different than at Northwestern. An active engagement with reading outside of the course syllabus is expected. Simply reciting facts and someone else’s theories doesn’t get you a mediocre grade. Instead, an F. The emphasis on independent thinking is much greater than in the U.S. Go ahead, argue with all the authors you’ve read, just make a good argument.

Another change is less tangible, but more important. Barring a complete emergency, I cannot go home. Yes, phones, Skype and Facebook allow me to stay in touch, but the connection has nowhere near the same effect or feeling. I’ll take a hug over a satellite chat, any day. I love my parents very much and this trip has increased my feelings toward them. While that love is unwavering, the idea of my home and especially my room is fading away as I continue to spend more time away from it. It’s disconcerting but there’s little I can do to change it.

In the wake of my detachment from my home and my family, it’s been a challenge to remain positive and optimistic about my decision to study abroad. Thus far, I’ve been successful in abiding by a rule my parents have preached to me since I was a child. I always thought I knew what it meant, but didn’t really have a full grasp of it until I came to London. The rule is “Press On.”

To press on is to be persistent and determined. Always. To press on is to recognize opportunity without giving into temptation. To press on is to embrace the idea that making the most of life is the only option. To do otherwise would be irresponsible and wasteful of one’s greatest asset: their time as a living, breathing, human being.

London has changed my understanding of what it means to press on because the changes around me have been so prodigious. Without my friends and family so nearby, my support system has become more introspective. I’m not saying I haven’t made friends, but my comfort level with them is different. Thinking about how to do my best even in a place that I’ve never been before makes me nervous. Additionally, it’s been a real treat figuring out a city with paper-thin meandering roads that seem to have a sometimes malicious mind of their own because they encourage getting lost.

Not trying isn’t an option, however. Instead, I seek to conquer the challenges that come before me. I’m going to explore London, even if it means getting lost. I’m going to learn how to be more socially adept in the UK, even if it means making a fool of myself occasionally. I’m going to do well in my classes even though the academic expectations have changed. Failure is part of my life, but I embrace it because I know that in the long run, I will succeed at doing my best. I can’t expect any more from myself. All I can do is press on.

Ray Whitehouse is a Medill junior currently studying abroad in London. He can be reached at [email protected]