On Campus: Sept. 22

New York Times writer to speak about captivity

David Rohde, a New York Times reporter who spent seven months in captivity in Afghanistan, will speak Wednesday evening at the McCormick Tribune Center, 1870 Campus Drive, at 5:00 p.m. Rohde received the Medill Medal of Courage in Journalism in 2009 for his “Held by the Taliban” series.

Physics Nobel laureate profiled in free play

A play profiling Richard Feynman, a Nobel laureate in physics known as one of the most unique characters in 20th century science, will begin a three-week run on Thursday. Entitled “QED,” the play by Peter Parnell will be performed Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings at 8 p.m. and Sunday afternoons at 2 p.m. at Jerome B. Cohen Commons in the Technological Institute, 2145 Sheridan Road. Admission is free.

Mathematics professor loses battle with cancer

Professor of Mathematics and Weinberg adviser Angela Grant died of cancer Monday in her Cincinnati home. Grant, who has taught at Northwestern since 2005, sent an e-mail to advisees over the summer, informing them that she would not be returning to NU in the fall for health reasons.

“I love my job and my students,” she wrote. “I know you will go on to do great things. I’ll certainly be at your graduation in spirit!”

Weinberg senior Catherine Kennedy, one of Grant’s advisees, described the professor as “always warm and friendly and very personal.” Grant was known for her sense of humor and her enthusiasm for both mathematics and the Cincinnati Bengals. The date of the memorial service will be announced soon.

SEED invites students out for Green Fest

Students for Ecological and Environmental Developmentwill host Northwestern’s first annual Green Fest Wednesday at the Wild Roots Garden on the Norris University Center’s south lawn from 5 to 6:30 p.m

On Campus: Sept. 22