Pollard and Co. looking to take down Hurricanes

Not all championships are created equal. This is a lesson No. 5 Northwestern has learned the hard way after amassing 12 consecutive Big Ten titles and two straight ITA Team championships, but never bringing home the NCAA championship.

“We’re really hungry and ready to get out there,” freshman Kate Turvy said. “This is what we’ve been working toward all season, what we kept telling ourselves was the end goal. We’re focused.”

The Wildcats will need that focus as well as big performances from their inconsistent doubles lineup in order to knock out No. 11 Miami and advance to the quarterfinals today in Athens, Ga. Miami poses a greater threat to NU than either of the two opponents it swept in the regional qualifying round last weekend-Miami (OH) and No. 37 Nebraska. The Cats (23-6) made quick work of both teams coming off their Big Ten championship two weeks ago and did not drop a point all weekend. But Miami (19-5) also posted clean sweeps in its qualifying rounds, taking down Boston University and South Florida. The Hurricanes boast the nation’s No. 6 and No. 36 doubles team as well as singles standout No. 7 Laura Vallverdu.

“There is nothing easy about these matches from here on out,” coach Claire Pollard said. “At this point in the season, the team is what it is talent-wise for the most part. The real test is how that talent holds up against the pressure and grind of the tournament. You’ve got to play close to perfect tennis.”

Some of the Cats coming closest to that “perfect” tennis are also the youngest: namely, freshmen Linda Mushrefova and Turvy. Mushrefova was the only NU player to win both of her singles matches in qualifying last weekend, and she did so in decisive fashion.

Mushrefova won both matches in two sets, including her Nebraska victory that sealed the match for NU.

“At these matches I have just been focusing on each opponent as completely separate from winning the championship,” Mushrefova said. “It’s about winning one match at a time.”

Mushrefova has had less success closing out her doubles matchups with partner senior Lauren Lui at the No. 1 spot. The pair did not manage to finish a match on the weekend and was behind 5-6 when the doubles point was called against the Huskers. Lui and Mushrefova were not consistent partners throughout the season. In fact, Lui qualified for the NCAA doubles tournament with sophomore Elena Chernyakova for their play together earlier in the season.

Turvy has had more luck in doubles than Mushrefova, notching both wins with partner senior Samantha Murray over the weekend. Turvy and Murray have been the stalwart team among NU’s shaky doubles lineup, going 15-2 in dual matches.

“This is as good as it gets,” said Pollard of her finally solidified doubles lineup. “And if it’s not good enough, at the end of the day that’s on my shoulders. The girls are all playing well, it’s my job to pair them so they play well together. We’ll see how that goes against the best of the best.”