Women’s Tennis Q&A: Talking Texas, Le Peep with NU senior Lauren Lui

Senior Lauren Lui went 9-1 in conference singles play this season. She was an ITA All-American last year in doubles with then-senior Georgia Rose. This weekend, the Wildcats start their NCAA tournament run against Miami (OH).

Excerpts:

Daily: What convinced you to pick up tennis? Was it love at first serve?Lui: I played a lot of sports when I was younger, I wasn’t really about Barbie dolls, I was more of a tomboy. But my sister played a lot, and I would tag along with her and eventually I started playing.

Daily: Why did you pick NU?Lui: Honestly when I was younger I didn’t know very much about Northwestern since it’s in the Midwest and I’m from Texas. As the years went along I got to know how great of an academic school it was and then everything just worked out. The athletics are great, I love the coaches; Claire (Pollard) and Jackie (Holden) are really great. I really loved the team.

Daily: Other than the Wildcats, do you root for any college or professional teams?Lui: I really don’t like the Longhorns. I’m not a big UT fan; I’m more of an (Texas) A&M fan. I dislike Texas a lot. I’m a big Astros fan, and sometimes I jump on the Texans bandwagon, but we really haven’t done anything lately, so there’s not much of a bandwagon to jump on.

Daily: Who is your favorite professionaltennis player?Lui: I don’t have a favorite right now, but when I was younger I really liked Pete Sampras.

Daily: What is your favorite sports movie?Lui: I have a couple. I really like “Remember the Titans,” it gets me every time. On a more comedic level, I really like “The Replacements.” It’s an instant classic. I watch it all the time and I always think it is just so hilarious.

Daily: What’s your pre-game regimen like?Lui: I’ve eaten the same thing from Le Peep for four years now: an egg sandwich. I tie my shoe laces right before I play, and I always take off my watch because I don’t like to be concerned with time. I like my Linkin Park, “Hybrid Theory.” A lot of nice, angry music gets me in the mood and pumped up and ready to go.

Daily: How does it feel to be playing your last season of college tennis?Lui: I just can’t believe it went by so fast. It’s a scary thing. I’ve really loved having the younger ones look up to me as an example. I still don’t have any clue what I’m doing after graduation. I will probably stay around the area. I’m looking into marketing.

Daily: Do you have any advice for this year’s freshmen?Lui: I always tell them soak up every moment. Four years goes by faster than you could ever believe. Do whatever you can to improve.