ASG Senate starts student groups funding process, discusses appointments

Associated Student Government began the process for funding student groups and discussed the selection of new Executive Board members Wednesday.

Funding recommendations for A-status student groups were distributed to ASG senators by the Student Appropriations Finance Committee.

A total of $893,613 was distributed by the SAFC to 33 student groups and three co-sponsorships, which is less than the $1,381,604.50 requested. The Senate will vote on the allotment at next week’s meeting, when it will be able to add funds to groups from the $55,450 Senate amendment pool.

Any funds remaining in the amendment pool after Senate confirms the funding will be distributed during Fall Quarter supplemental funding, said Financial Vice President Emma Kerr, a Weinberg junior.

During the meeting, the Senate unanimously confirmed Medill sophomore and former Student Life Vice President Matt Bellassai as public relations vice president. Bellassai was selected for the position by a committee of Executive Board members, President Claire Lew said.

“We chose Matt because what we were looking for was a strategic vision for the branding of ASG as an organization,” said Lew, a SESP junior who previously held the position.

“Additionally, we felt that there was a strong leadership component. … You need to get people excited.”

Bellassai will work to improve the image of ASG on campus and establish face-to-face connections with students, he said.

“It is something I really enjoy doing,” he said. “I am going to be excited every morning to work on these things.”

Lew also announced the selection of Weinberg freshman Dan Weiss as external relations vice president. Weiss’ confirmation was tabled until next week by Speaker Tyris Jones, a Weinberg sophomore, due to controversy that arose during the question-and-answer period with the selection committee.

Lew said both positions were decided unanimously by the selection committee, which Senator Jeff Cao said could not be revealed because the selection process took place in a closed committee. Because Lew announced this information to Senate, the committee is required to reveal all of its deliberations to the senators before Weiss can be confirmed, said Cao, a Weinberg junior.

Senate also unanimously passed a legislative order setting a timeline for the selection of a vice president of services­, a new executive board position. The order requires the position to be filled and confirmed by Senate by June 5. This legislative order was postponed last week because Vice President Hiro Kawashima said the initial deadline was too tight for a qualified candidate to be selected.

Off-campus Senator Dan Diorio said although the selection date was extended, he and Kawashima agree the position needs to be filled by the end of the year. Kawashima called the new timeline “rigorous but doable.”

Off-campus Senator Reed Wilson introduced legislation proposing the creation of an off-campus listserv, census and districts. The Weinberg junior said the legislation would allow off-campus senators to better communicate with their constituents.

“It is about efficiency, organization and streamlining things,” he said. “This could improve town-gown relations as well as campus-off-campus relations.”

Senators raised questions about the logistics of gaining access to the addresses and e-mail addresses of off-campus students from the administration. The bill will be voted on next week as old business.[email protected]