Women’s Tennis: Purple reign-Wildcats win 12th straight Big Ten title

When Northwestern dropped its first conference matchup since 2004 to Michigan in early April, it looked like there would be a changing of the guard in the Big Ten. Sunday the Wildcats proved they’re not ready to be dethroned just yet, picking up their 12th straight conference title with a 4-0 sweep of the Wolverines.

“It definitely feels even better to win it this time since we lost to Michigan earlier,” senior Lauren Lui said. “We put together three really great matches of tennis, which has been a goal for us all season. Then to win against rivals felt even better.”

No. 5 NU (21-6, 9-1 Big Ten) began its title run Friday with a 4-1 win over No. 35 Ohio State. In Saturday’s matchup against No. 21 Illinois, the Fighting Illini took the doubles point and the first two sets in singles before the Cats clawed back to claim four singles matches and a berth in the final. The championship match against No. 4 Michigan looked as though it would be an even tougher task for NU, especially given the teams’ matchup earlier this season. But the Cats continued their tradition of clutch Big Ten title performances, delivering their sixth straight conference title win over Michigan.

“We came into the tournament as the No. 2 seed, as underdogs for the first time in a long time,” freshman Linda Abu Mushrefova said. “But that helped us get all the motivation that we needed to come out against Michigan and just get a huge win.”

Abu Mushrefova came up big for the Cats on Sunday. The freshman, who was not part of the primary lineup at the beginning of the season, won her three-set matchup at the No. 5 spot to clinch the tournament title for NU.

In doubles, Abu Mushrefova paired with Lui to take down Michigan’s top team.

“It’s really great to play with someone consistently, and all the teams did a great job this weekend,” Lui said. “Linda and I are gelling really well and we’re just going to continue to get better with more experience.”

NU’s singles squad also came out strong Sunday. No. 13 Maria Mosolova led the charge against No. 20 Denise Muresan. Muresan edged Mosolova earlier in the season, but Mosolova defended her higher ranking Sunday with a 6-1, 6-2 win.

Senior Samantha Murray turned in a strong performance, winning her first two singles matchups and leading in the third when the match was called.

“Getting this win was so important for us,” coach Claire Pollard said. “Heading into the NCAAs, this just gives us a world of confidence.” [email protected]