NOM founders share love of food with fellow Northwestern students

Comida. Nourriture. Chakula.

Every language has a different word for food, but one phrase translates to delicious in each: Om nom nom.

The food club OmNOMnom was founded Winter Quarter by three Weinberg sophomores hoping to spread their love for food.

Food is something many people are passionate about, said Tiffany Hsu, co-founder of NOM.

“Some people may say they want to go out to eat somewhere, but maybe their friends aren’t that adventurous,” she said. “Or they want to bake, but they don’t have somewhere to bake, or they don’t have the materials. We want to have that forum for people to come and meet other people who are like-minded and also continue to explore their love of food.”

Hsu, with co-founders Pamela Hung and Lisa Wang, said they hope NOM will refine students’ tastes. They are trying to combat an attitude Hsu describes as “this casual, ‘Oh yeah, I eat to survive, and I think it tastes good.'”

The organization will promote cooking as well as eating out, Wang said.

“We want to increase awareness and appreciation for food in a variety of different ways, either through cooking and making your own food or through appreciating other food by going to restaurants,” she said.

Since its founding, NOM has hosted two events. The first general interest meeting was Feb. 4, and those who attended received some insider knowledge: the secret of what NOM stands for. Neither Hsu nor Wang would disclose the acronym’s meaning.

“It is an acronym, but what it stands for is reserved for members to know,” Hsu said. “It’s quite exciting. We might eventually let everyone know, but for now it’s kind of a little secret only about 10 people know.”

NOM also hosted the NU Stands with Haiti Bake Sale Jan. 29 in Norris University Center. Members donated supplies to make puppy chow and butterscotch haystacks sold to support relief efforts in the earthquake-stricken country.

It is important to remember people in the world who don’t have enough food to eat, Wang said. NOM is partially dedicated to food-based philanthropy, she said.

“A lot of people do go hungry in the world, and we want to help stop that in whatever way we can,” she said.

NOM is primarily reaching out to NU students through its Facebook group, which currently has over 300 members. Nolan Feeney said he joined the club for economic reasons.

“I haven’t spent a whole lot of time looking at the description of (NOM),” the Medill freshman said. “I do remember that ‘free food,’ those words appeared somewhere on there, and that was the most exciting part because I’m constantly on the lookout for affordable snacks.”

Those looking to join the Facebook group won’t find it in the “Food & Drink” section. Wang, who created it, put it under “Religious Groups” because she said members of NOM take food very seriously.

“In some ways, food is like religion,” Wang said. “It’s an essential and a belief system for people who really love it.”[email protected]