Football: Young coaches share Big Ten bond

Youth will be on display this Senior Day at Ryan Field. While Northwestern’s seniors battle for the last time at Ryan Field, two of the youngest coaches in college football will be prowling the sidelines. Coach Pat Fitzgerald, the second-youngest coach in the country, and Bret Bielema, the fifth-youngest coach in the country, will meet for the second time this Saturday.

“We’re both a part of the Atari generation, when we were growing up Atari came out,” Fitzgerald said. “We’re both pretty passionate (about football). We love the game and what it gives you the ability to do as a teacher and a mentor.”

Aside from their age, both coaches are Chicago natives who played college football in the Big Ten. Fitzgerald was a linebacker for NU while Bielema was a defensive lineman at Iowa. Fitzgerald said their defensive mentality is evident in their coaching styles.

“We’re both defensive players at heart and defensive coaches at heart,” Fitzgerald said.

The last time the coaches squared off was during their first seasons in 2006. The Badgers demolished the Wildcats at Camp Randall Stadium, 41-9. The year before that NU won in a shootout, 51-48 in Evanston.

“Our last meeting we didn’t play well up there,” Fitzgerald said. “The last time they came down here I don’t think anybody that was on the defensive side of the ball on either side would like to say that they were.”

Fitzgerald and Bielema, who are both in their fourth year at the helm, have found success as head coaches. Bielema is 37-13 since 2006 while Fitzgerald is 26-22. In a combined eight seasons the two coaches only have one losing season.

“There are a lot of similarities between the two of us,” Fitzgerald said. “Maybe different styles from a standpoint of what we do on offense, but there are a lot of similarities.”

BADGERS GET GOING ON GROUND

As more and more college football teams are switching to high-flying, spread offenses, Wisconsin has stayed with its conservative, physical style of play. And it has paid off.

“They’ve been in four-wheel drive for a number of years,” Fitzgerald said. “They’ve got great complements in their play-action pass game, and when you load the box up they’re going to take their shots deep. Their identity hasn’t changed a whole lot. (Offensive coordinator) Paul (Chryst) has done a great job with their offense. They’re just really, really efficient.”

Running back Ron Dayne won the Heisman Trophy at Wisconsin in 1999 while shattering the NCAA’s all-time rushing record. More recently P.J. Hill rushed for 42 touchdowns and almost 4,000 yards during his time in Madison, Wis.

This year the Badgers rank first in the conference in rushing, averaging more than 200 yards per game. Their success starts upfront with a powerful offensive line.

“What they try to do is they come off the ball and they try to move you,” senior defensive tackle Adam Hahn said. “They have a big back who runs behind them and he gets yards after contact too.”

That running back is the Big Ten’s leading rusher, John Clay. Weighing in at 6-foot-1 and 248 pounds, Clay is a nightmare for opposing defenses.

SAVING THE BEST FOR LAST

Fitzgerald is known to preach “the finish” to his team, and in his time as head coach his words have become a reality. Last week’s win upped Fitzgerald’s November record to 8-3.

“I tell our guys all the time that people forget what you did in September and October and they remember what you do in November,” Fitzgerald said. “That was etched in my brain by (Gary Barnett).”

Quarterback Mike Kafka said this team may be playing its best football of the year.

“That’s kind of the plan going into it,” said Kafka after the Illinois game. “You start off early, figuring out roles. Right now, we’re really starting to turn into gear and really put everything together.”