Women’s Soccer: Herczeg keeps improving, saves best year for last

Alicia Herczeg has been a big-time player from the moment she set foot on Northwestern’s campus. From her first goal, a double-overtime game-winner versus Ohio State, to her most recent one, a game-tying goal this Monday against Wisconsin, Herczeg has been a key part of the Wildcat offense. Tonight, she will play her final game in an NU uniform, as the Cats host Illinois on Senior Night.

Herczeg got off to a fast start at NU, starting all but one game in her freshman year, and hasn’t missed a start since then. Tonight will mark her 78th straight start, the second-longest streak in school history.

“It’s rare to start in that many games your freshman year and to stay healthy for that long, and Alicia’s been able to do that,” coach Stephanie Erickson said. “She’s always prepared, which minimizes your chance of injury. She’s had a huge role in keeping herself healthy.”

Herczeg has improved every season, going from just six points (three goals, zero assists) in her freshman campaign to 11 points (four goals, three assists) as a junior.

Herczeg has been better than ever this season. She leads the Wildcats with six goals, including game-winners against Indiana and Michigan State.

“Individually, this is the best year I’ve had,” Herczeg said. “We lost a lot of key starters and goal-scorers last year, and so I’ve worked to step up into that position. I’m just getting better every year, working hard in the off-seasons to improve as much as I can.”

And in stepping up her game, Herczeg has also improved those around her, particularly junior forward Sam Greene, who will become the team’s leading scorer when Herczeg graduates this spring.

“Sam has totally adopted Alicia’s grit and preparation when it comes to being fit and ready to go,” Erickson said. “So she’s already helping us replace her by modeling such a great work ethic and committing to being a better player.”

Despite Herczeg’s efforts, neither Northwestern (6-10-2, 3-5-1 Big Ten) nor Illinois will be playing postseason soccer this season. Both teams come into Friday’s contest with sub-.500 records, so the two squads will just be playing for pride when they meet at Lakeside Field.

Illinois (7-8-3, 2-5-2) ranks near the middle of the Big Ten in nearly all offensive categories. NU, on the other hand, ranks near the bottom. The Cats are last in the Big Ten in goals scored, with 14 on the season.

The Cats have lacked explosiveness all season; they have scored multiple goals in only four of their 18 contests this season. NU hopes to change that trend Friday against a vulnerable Illinois defense. The Illini have given up 1.39 goals per game, which is the worst mark in the Big Ten.

After two late losses against Minnesota and Wisconsin, NU will need to play well from start to finish on both sides of the ball.

“This whole year’s been about closing up the whole 90 minutes. We’ve had a couple like Minnesota, Ohio State and (Wisconsin) where we lost in the last minute of overtime or the last minute of regulation time,” senior defender Ali Rubnitz said. “It’s hard for us to bounce back, but I think that (this) being our last game of the regular season, we will get pumped for it.”

The last time these two teams played, it was the first weekend of Big Ten season, and both teams came in with postseason aspirations. The Cats triumphed, pulling off a 1-0 victory over then No. 17 Illinois. Friday will be different, as both teams face early ends to their respective seasons.

“Neither one of us is going to extend our seasons,” Erickson said. “We both know that, so it’s whoever decides that this game is going to mean something pride-wise, and I’m expecting and hoping that we decide it matters for us how we finish.”[email protected]