Bill’s Blues liquor license revoked

Updated Nov. 3, 11:36 p.m.

Evanston watering hole Bill’s Blues is threatened, but not yet closed forever, said Bill Gilmore, the bar’s owner.

The business, at 1029 Davis St., owes sales taxes to the state of Illinois, he said. Under the state’s orders, the city suspended Bill’s Blues’ liquor license Monday.

“I could be open without alcohol, but there would be no point,” Gilmore said.

Gilmore said he has been trying to work out the issue with the state in time to be open for this weekend, as he still has musical acts booked.

He said he is currently trying to drum up enough money to keep the bar open by seeking loans from “friends, relatives and drinking buddies.” He said a more official loan is unlikely.”A bank is not going to loan me money,” Gilmore said.

In last year’s recession, frequenting bars and hearing live music became extravagances people began to cut, he said.

“The first thing they tell you is stop going out,” Gilmore said. Jose Dutriz, whose band, Lolita, played several times at Bill’s Blues, said the bar is a good option for student performers.

“I think it’s a pretty good venue, for Evanston,” the Medill senior said. “You can tell your friends to go, and it’s not very far and you’re also going to have some people who aren’t from Northwestern.”

Dutriz said he would be sorry to see the bar go.

“It’s a nice little place that I would want to check out again if I heard there was a good band playing there,” he said.

– Ali Elkin