After 10 years, MCC still ‘buzzing’

When the Northwestern Multicultural Center opened its doors this September for the 10th year, there was a newly installed whiteboard hanging near the entrance bearing Spanish words of welcome.

Before long, the board was filled with messages in a variety of languages from students who passed through. Director of Asian/Asian American Student Affairs Tedd Vanadilok said the center’s whiteboard has become reflective of the MCC’s environment.

Vanadilok described the MCC building as a “communal, student-friendly place” and said throughout its 10 years the center has grown into an open, home-like environment.

“It’s buzzing,” he said. “And that’s what we want.”

The MCC held a reception and parade-watching party Friday as a kickoff event for its 10-year anniversary celebration. The event coincided with homecoming to give alumni the opportunity to come through their doors once again.

Lesley Arca, Weinberg ’07, said she didn’t realize the MCC was 10 years old already.

During her time at NU, Arca was involved in an Asian American mentorship program and Kaibigan, a Filipino culture organization, through the MCC.

“I was here a lot,” she said. “This is one of the places I knew I could find a friendly face.

Some of my best memories at Northwestern happened here.”

One of the biggest changes Arca noticed in the MCC was an increase in the number of rooms available to students.

When the office first opened, it shared the current building with the Office of Fellowships and the Office of Academic Advising, Vanadilok said. Now the MCC has all three floors of the building, and the MCC staff has been working on converting office space to more common areas for students. It has a TV lounge, living room, conference room and study room for students.

Vanadilok said incoming freshmen always ask if they need a reason to be in the MCC. But any member of the NU community can hang out there, he said, whether for student group meetings, events or just to study and socialize.

“If you want to take a nap here, that’s fine,” he said. “Just let me know when your class is, so I can make sure you don’t miss it.”

During midterm and final seasons, Vandilok said he sometimes walks in at 8 a.m. to find people at the end of an all-nighter.

“The only thing we can’t accommodate is beds or showers,” he said. “I wish we could.” Music freshman Christina Chintanaphol described the office as a place she thinks will become her home away from home.

“I couldn’t imagine NU without the Multicultural Center,” Chinatanophol said.

Another change in the MCC is reflected in the number of student groups that utilize the office. Since the center began, the number of MCC-recognized student groups has grown from about 20 to about 65.

“A lot of Asian clubs wouldn’t have materialized without it,” said Chinatanophol, who is involved in an Asian American mentorship program as well as a Thai club.

Vanadilok said the MCC is still planning celebratory events for Winter and Spring quarters.

The center also has two commemoration projects lined up: a photo project and a time capsule, for which members are in the process of collecting objects that symbolize the MCC’s mission. Events like Friday’s keep alumni involved and allow them to see how the MCC has changed over the years.

Arca said she still maintains a relationship with Kaibigan. She added that the alumni who have passed through the MCC are now “making waves in Chicago” through their work in multicultural affairs, and said she tries to connect her career with her experiences at the MCC.

“I will always come back to this place,” Arca said.

After 10 years, MCC still ‘buzzing’