Letter: Curbing greenhouse gases

If you are “just someone who happens to care a lot,” why not consider proving it and taking greater environmental action. If we are going to curb greenhouse gases by 18 percent in 10 years by 2012, “going green” is going to take significant, not passive, lifestyle changes.

While I agree with Ms. Pinsky that deliberate everyday tasks are important, they are only the stepping-stones in this worldwide movement. People shouldn’t be sitting back and patting themselves on their backs for simply carrying reusable bags and riding their bikes. Our generation is being asked to change our consumptive culture of excess, to develop solutions for renewable energy, to fight the large oil companies controlling the Chamber of Commerce.

Class of 2014 – if you are in Weinberg, have you looked at environmental studies or a environmental policy minor? If you are in McCormick, have you considered being an environmental engineer? As a senior, I know we have enough bright, competitive students going into medicine, finance and business. If you are deliberate in finding and keeping your major, why not do business in a solar-energy start-up or politics in an environmental lobbying group? This is the time for radical lifestyle changes.– SUELYN YU McCormick senior, Co-president, Engineers for a Sustainable World