Local non-profit promotes literature

Literature for All of Us, an Evanston-based, nationally recognized literacy organization, is “opening worlds by opening books,” said founder Karen Thomson.

The nonprofit organization promotes literature and the study and writing of poetry among young people through weekly book group meetings and special events.

May 9 marked the organization’s ninth annual Honor Thy Mother luncheon at the DoubleTree Hotel in Skokie.

“The purpose is to bring together and honor the wonderful, strong women in our lives along with the poets and writers to celebrate literature and the works we do at the organization,” said Janet Jesse, director of community relations for the organization, which is headquartered at 2010 Dewey Ave.

These youth often come from economically disadvantaged neighborhoods and attend under-financed schools, Thomson said.

“In some ways, they were already women because they’re taking care of their child, and they could use the benefits of a good women’s book group and read about other women’s struggles,” she said.

LaToya Gordon-Williams, a teenage parent, has been participating in the Monday book groups for three years.

“Literature for All of Us gave me something to do and somewhere to go where my mom would know I was safe,” the 18-year-old said.

The organization was founded in 1996 out of a book group for teenage mothers and has now expanded to serve about 500 young people, Thomson said. Community agencies and schools choose kids that might be helped by the program, and the organization takes it from there.

Thomson said it’s important to pick the right books, especially ones that relate to teens. Books range from memoirs to poetry.

“We choose books that are culturally relevant and don’t bore people because we’re talking usually about reluctant readers, and we have mixes of reading levels,” she said.

The program also incorporates a poetry exercise after each meeting that encourages students to explore themes in the books.

“It helps people to put their experiences outside of themselves,” Thomson said. “It’s healing that way, and that way we’ll share it with others.”

High school junior Elsie Jones said the poetry exercises have provided her an outlet for expression.

“Everybody is different,” the 18-year-old said. “Everybody has a story to tell. It’s a very friendly and loving atmosphere.”

Other programs include family literacy, parenting education for teenage mothers and a training program for youth workers and teachers.

According to the organization’s Web site, evaluation results show an increase in reading scores and reading time and a decrease in disciplinary referrals for the organization’s participants. Positive changes in social behavior and school practices are also noted.

“Our tagline is ‘opening worlds by opening books,’ and that’s what I believe books do,” Thomson said. “They entertain, they take you away, they give you new things to think about and new experiences to put against your own.”