ASG candidates’ debate heats up

Associated Student Government presidential candidates traded barbs Monday night while the two unopposed candidates used the opportunity as a forum to share their plans for Northwestern’s student body.

The candidates took part in a public debate Monday night at the McCormick Tribune Center at 7 p.m. The debate was sponsored by ASG.

Moderator and ASG elections commissioner Paul David Shrader asked questions submitted from members of the Northwestern community. Those in attendance were also permitted to ask questions.

During the course of the debate, the crowd grew from about 20 to more than 100 attendees by the time the presidential candidates took the stage.

BELLASSAI/SAFDARI

The debate began on an informal note with Matt Bellassai, student life director candidate, and academic director candidate Mo Safdari, who are both running unopposed.

Bellassai and Safdari discussed how they would continue working on projects, including improving the mail delivery system and enhancing NU’s environmental curriculum, respectively, in a tough economic climate.

“We are in a recession,” said Bellassai, a Weinberg freshman and ASG District 1 senator. “We can’t make unreasonable demands.”

Safdari spoke specifically about a proposed Islamic Studies program, but added that it took the Latina and Latino Studies program nine years to come to fruition.

“These products aren’t shovel-ready,” said Safdari, a Weinberg junior and member of ASG’s Academic Committee. “I’m hoping Islamic Studies won’t take nine years, but it’s not going to happen in one year.”

DAWSON/PRATT/SMITHBURG

The three vice presidential candidates followed and discussed issues including the new vice president role in ASG and the shuttle system. VP candidate Tommy Smithburg, Mike McGee’s running mate, played on his opponents’ slogan in his closing statement.

“It’s more than just about ‘getting things done,'” the Weinberg junior said. “It’s about how you get things done.”

VP candidate Devon Pratt, running mate of Luke Adams, said financial issues were one of his chief concerns.

“It all comes down to the green,” said Pratt, a Weinberg junior. “Tuition is getting expensive and my meals suck.”

Bill Pulte’s running mate Pat Dawson said he hopes to change students’ opinions about ASG.

“The resources of ASG are being underutilized right now,” said the Weinberg junior and Rainbow Alliance co-president. “If Bill and I are in office, I’m sure the perception of ASG will change.”

PULTE/ADAMS/MCGEE

For the second half of the evening, the debate took a less genial tone as the presidential candidates took the stage.

Medill junior Bill Pulte and Communication junior Mike McGee each stressed his own experience while questioning the other’s qualifications. Removing himself from the fray, Weinberg junior Luke Adams tried to capitalize on his status as an ASG outsider.

Academic Director McGee noted his prior involvement in promoting minority recruitment and a “for students, by students” approach to academic issues. Vice president Pulte emphasized his background as an entrepreneur and in improving the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity as president. Meanwhile, Adams discussed methods to involve student groups more in ASG.

“We should empower student groups,” Adams said. “I’ve been to so many under-attended events put on by great student groups.”

During the debate, Pulte responded to a question regarding how he would differ from outgoing President Neal Sales-Griffin by saying he would try and make the vice president better enforce deadlines among executive board members, which he said was a problem under McGee.

“It was really hard to talk to Mike and say ‘NU Pal isn’t being launched’ or ‘NURD isn’t being launched,'” Pulte said.

McGee defended himself against charges that he would not “get results.”

“They talk about ‘tangible results,'” he said. “Ask the question ‘have we gotten results?’ The reason why we say that we’re going to work with the administration or work with a committee is that’s how we get things done.”

Economics Prof. Mark Witte, the ASG faculty advisor, said the debate’s harsh tone was a result of the lack of substantial difference in the candidates’ experience and platforms.

“Some fuses are burning short,” Witte said. “It’s tough when candidates are close in biography, very accomplished – two candidates that close and it gets personal very fast.”

Read The Daily’s ASG blog, including a liveblog of the debate.