This is our moment’

CHICAGO – Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) declared victory in a passionate speech Tuesday night, announcing that “a new dawn of American leadership is at hand.”

“It’s been a long time coming,” he said. “But tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America.”

An estimated 125,000 people from all across the world gathered in Chicago’s Grant Park for the celebration of a resounding victory by the first-ever black president-elect.

Projections showed Obama with well over 300 electoral votes, much more than the 270 required to make him the 44th President of the United States. Obama will be sworn in on Jan. 20, 2009.

The speech was the triumphant conclusion of a 21-month race that some called one of the most important elections in modern history.

And in the unseasonably warm November air, Obama sought to link the themes of his campaign to the foundation of an Obama administration.

“If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer,” Obama said.

Legions of people arrived at Grant Park hours before the candidate. Some camped out the night before to ensure a good place in line. When the gates finally opened at 6:20 p.m., the attendees sprinted into the Hutchinson Field.

The excitement intensified as results came in on giant televisions. There were cheers for each state that Obama was projected to win and boos for each state he was projected to lose. Euphoria erupted when the race was officially called for the Illinois senator at 10 p.m. The crowd broke into cheers and chants, and tears were visible in the eyes of some attendees, noticeably moved by the historic moment.

By the time Obama took the stage an hour later, his supporters appeared more than ready. He was greeted by a long standing ovation but promptly turned the attention back to the audience.

“Above all, I will never forget who this victory truly belongs to – it belongs to you,” he said. “This is your victory.”

The packed crowd responded with chants of the campaign slogan, “Yes we can.”

Forty years ago, Grant Park was the site of another major Chicago political spectacle: the riots at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. At that event, thousands of Chicago residents called for radical transformation.

Tuesday night, flocks of Chicagoans peacefully rallied for change, and they peacefully left, with no major disturbances after the event.

“For that is the true genius of America: that America can change.” he said.

Obama said his victory was only the beginning of the revolution.

“This victory alone is not the change we seek,” he said. “It is only the chance for us to make that change. And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were. It cannot happen without you.

“This is our moment,” he said. “This is our time.”