Debate on ETHS classes persists

Parents at the Evanston Township High School Board of Education meeting Monday night expressed their continued frustration with a new class structure that was implemented without discussion.

“Mixed” senior English classes, which include regular and honors students in the same room, have been controversial since they were put into place during the summer.

Administrators have touted the structure as a chance to inspire low-achieving minority students by letting them see the work of high-achieving students. But some parents have been hostile to the idea, arguing that the system could reduce the challenge for high-achieving students.

Parent Teacher Student Association Co-President Candace Davis read a six-page statement at the meeting on behalf of the group.

“It’s about achieving greater equity but not at the expense of excellence,” Davis said.

She countered concerns that complaining parents were just concerned with “protecting their privilege.”

“This is not a matter of maintaining privilege,” she said. “I don’t consider it racist to want the high-achieving kids to be challenged as much as possible.”

Davis recommended that the board survey students and teachers to get more information about how the classes are working. She said administrators should base their changes “on research and facts, not hope.”

The mixed-class structure was constructed by English teachers without consenting the board, said Rachel Hayman, the board’s vice president.

“It happened and we’re sorry, I guess,” she said. “But let’s see how it works out. I think we have a really fundamentally sound plan going forward.”

The PTSA will discuss the issue at their meeting on Nov. 6, and a community forum on the topic is scheduled for Nov. 24.

Board of Education President Martha Burns said “all questions will be addressed at the forum.”

Also at the meeting, Board officials approved a plan to start looking into “race and privilege” at ETHS.

The Board approved a contract with Pacific Educational Group, Inc. to conduct an assessment of the school. The contract is not to exceed $10,000, and the money will come out of the school’s community relations fund.

“It’s probably time to have real honest conversations at ETHS about race and privilege and the impact on the institution and the individuals,” said Superintendent Eric Witherspoon after the meeting.

Pacific Educational Group, Inc. will create a profile of ETHS and suggest ways to start a conversation about diversity and class, the superintendent said.

A study of this type has never been done at ETHS, he added.

The group is scheduled to organize focus groups at the school in January, and the report is expected by February.

The meeting also included a discussion on how the current economic situation will affect the school.

Board members were informed that the school’s share of property taxes would probably be reduced, while costs may increase. Its investments have also taken a hit.

“It was just a caution that we are in a recession and it is going to have an impact on budget decisions,” Witherspoon said after the meeting. “It could result in some belt-tightening.”