Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

NU rises two spots in U.S. News rankings

Northwestern University rose two spots in U.S. News and World Report’s newest university rankings, which were released today. At No. 12, NU tied Washington University in St. Louis with a score of 87.

It’s a two-place jump for the Wildcats, ranked 14th for the last two years. Harvard University came in first, followed by Princeton and Yale. The University of Chicago topped schools in the Midwest with a No. 8 ranking. NU received the highest ranking in the Big Ten, with the University of Michigan coming in second at No. 26.

The current rankings were based on 15 “indicators of academic excellence,” according to the magazine, including peer university evaluations, student retention rate, average SAT scores, standard faculty salary and the rate of alumni giving.

University spokesman Al Cubbage said in an e-mail that officials were “gratified” by the high ranking.

“At the same time,” Cubbage added, “it’s important to note that students choose to come to Northwestern for a variety of reasons and students say that rankings by the media are generally not a top factor in that college choice process. Still, it’s good to be ranked so highly.”

School officials have dismissed changes in the rankings in the past.

“If you look at the overall scores, we’re a tight group,” said Bill Hayward, NU’s director of analytical studies, in 2006, when the university dropped two spots to No. 14. “We’ve been clustered in this group for the last 10 years.”

In 2006, University President Henry Bienen said he thought the rankings did not help higher education.

“I think it would be better if we never had them,” Bienen said. “They don’t tell you much about the school, but people pay attention, so we want a good showing.”

Watch for The DAILY’s first issue of Fall Quarter on Monday, September 22. Check dailynorthwestern.com for news updates in the meantime.