DM hosts will take to the stage for final time

Communication senior Adam Welton and Medill senior Todd Johnson know a thing about making history. In 2004, they became the first-ever freshmen Dance Marathon emcees. In 2005, they became the first pair to emcee for two consecutive years, and in 2006, they reprised their roles.

Tonight, the duo will take the stage for their fourth and final run as Dance Marathon emcees – but the two seniors, better known as TnA, insist they are the same energizers and motivators they were freshmen year.

“We really haven’t changed, to be honest,” Johnson said. “We’ve been the same people that we are on stage as we are when we’re off stage. We realize emceeing is not about the skits you do, it’s not about how energetic you are on stage. It’s just about the kind of people you are and the kind of relationship you have with the people you’re coming at … I think we realize that more and more each year.”

“I’ve grown 3 inches wider and 2 inches taller, but that’s it,” Welton said. “We’ve been the same. There’s nothing new, no new jokes, we just be ourselves.”

Welton and Johnson first met during New Student Week freshmen year as members of the African-American Theatre Ensemble and as fellow residents of the Communications Residential College. As freshmen, the two just wanted to be involved in the Northwestern community.

Wandering around Norris University Center during the first weeks of school, Welton came across an application for Dance Marathon emcee. He had missed the deadline for being a DM dancer and thought being an emcee was a way to make up for it.

After a half-hour audition of prepared material, improvisation and a question-and-answer session, he and Johnson landed the gig.

Over the years, TnA have developed a comfortable stage presence.

The two complement each other as emcee partners. Even in conversation, while they both have a strong sense of humor, it’s easy to tell Johnson tends towards seriousness while Welton cracks the jokes.

“(Welton) and (Johnson) have a rhythm that really just appeals to all the dancers,” said Elizabeth Campbell, DM Public and Community Relations Co-Chairwoman. “They have the ability to energize a room full of people who have been on their feet for hours.”

But Johnson said both he and Welton don’t dwell on preparation. The only thing the pair does before every DM is say a prayer together before heading on stage.

“We’re talking to each other all the time and constantly coming up with new things to say on stage whether it be prepared or just off the cuff,” Johnson said.

For both Welton and Johnson, their most memorable DM experiences are from years when their families came out to the event. For Johnson, who lives in New Jersey, his mom’s arrival came as a surprise.

“I didn’t know she was coming out to see me and she was backstage right before we were about to get on stage for the first time,” Johnson said. “She was just in tears and saying how much she was happy for me. She kept me motivated.”

Despite all the fun they have each year, the meaning of the event for both of them rests with the dancers, he said.

“We could organize so many different events and have the lights on and the stage and the music on, but if no one’s there to live it out and to fundraise all year, and to be doing great work all year, then it really doesn’t mean anything,” Johnson said.

Going into his final year, Johnson said the fourth will be no different than any of the other DMs.

“It’s going to hit me eventually, but I’m not really thinking about that, it’s just about Dance Marathon,” Johnson said. “Each year it’s gotten bigger and better, people, money, awareness, involvement, with everything the bar has been raised … It’s going to be my last year, but Dance Marathon is going to keep going on far beyond me.”

Welton’s experiences emceeing DM have helped him in other ways.

“I’ve learned that after being emcee for three years, I can do anything,” Welton said. “I say, ‘I can do this, I’ve danced for 30 hours.’ When I’m up late studying all night, I just put on my Kelly Clarkson and have my own study marathon.”

Though Welton and Johnson were named emcees all four years, both seniors had to audition for the spots each year. After Welton and Johnson graduate this spring, the positions for next year’s DM emcees will open up once again.

“When you’re dancing, by the end of Dance Marathon, you feel like you’re friends with (Welton) and (Johnson),” Campbell said. “You can see how comfortable they are with each other and Dance Marathon … It’s going to be a tough act to follow.”

Photobucket

Daily File PhotosCommunication senior Adam Welton (bottom right) and Medill senior Todd Johnson (bottom left) make up the duo “TnA” who will be hosting Dance Marathon for the fourth straight year tonight. The pair say their emcee-style has stayed the same.