HIV/AIDS survivors talk about their own ‘journeys of hope’

HIV/AIDS survivors told stories about their experiences with the disease Tuesday night to about 100 students.

The founder and CEO of Camp Heartland, Neil Willenson, and Travel Coordinator Sarah Mollet discussed the mission of Camp Heartland to reduce stigma of HIV/AIDS survivors. The event, sponsored by Alternative Student Breaks, Northwestern Community Development Corps and the Residence Hall Association, was moved to Technological Institute after power went out in Annenberg Hall.

Camp Heartland is a nonprofit group dedicated to improving the lives of children impacted by HIV/AIDS.

“I certainly think this is a journey of hope,” Willenson said. “But on this journey of hope, we don’t want to have rose-colored glasses, we want people to see the truth.”

“This is a disease that’s preventable,” he continued. “This is a room full of hope, this is a room full of people who are making a difference.”

At the event, students learned about the 2.5 million children that live with the disease.

“There’s still discrimination, there’s still poverty, there’s still grief,” Willenson said.

“We have a mission to try to convince people that children with AIDS are no different,” he said.

ASB has already sent two groups to work with the organization and plans to send another over spring break, ASB Educational Coordinator Abbey Schneider said.

Children living with HIV/AIDS are no different than those who are not affected, said Katelyn Fitzgerald, a 13-year-old living with HIV.

“This is my chance to not be scared and speak out about HIV/AIDS,” said Fitzgerald, a camp attendee. “We are just like you, we have the same goals in life as you.”

SESP junior Rachel Wiggans said she was moved by her speech.

“I started to tear up when she got up the courage to tell her teachers she had HIV,” Wiggans said.

At the event, Chicago native Rey Cordova, 27, said he worked up the courage to speak in the Chicago area. He said he used to tell people he had cancer instead of HIV because of embarrassment.

“Cancer is acceptable,” he said. “(People think) HIV is dirty, you have sex, you do drugs.”

Reach Ashley Lau at [email protected]