Frustrated? Here’s what I would do (Forum)

This quarter I have perceived an undercurrent of discontent at Northwestern. Countless students, many alumni and even a few faculty have confided their grievances to me.

Our principle purpose at NU is studying. The university, however, does not provide adequate places for students to do their work. The main library’s dozen group-study rooms fall far short of demand and, minus the police station, there is not a single twenty-four-hour building on campus.

Right now, during class registration time, students are frustrated that too many of their desired courses have overlapping times. Because administrators do not offer multiple sections of the same class, students are too often forced to take undesired courses, which still cost thousands of dollars.

Students living off campus feel increasingly pressured by university oversight. The expanded police jurisdiction zone, reaching far beyond campus limits, is supposed to protect students in the wake of numerous assaults. Undergrads, however, feel that NU police are trolling for noise and parties rather than protection.

Greek students sense a coordinated administrative assault on their institutions. Administrators banned Fright Night, a Phi Delt-sponsored Halloween celebration in Indiana that is a campuswide favorite. Even a paltry noise complaint can be grounds for a full investigation and punishment. Although they recognize the university’s need to protect its liability, students agree that banning typical collegiate social activity is not a reasonable solution. The administration has not presented a plan to reconcile Greek-school relations.

Even simple solutions, such as an improved student center or higher quality food, would dramatically improve students’ experience.

Students are disturbed by administrative intrusions into their personal space. Administrators have made no firm statements denying alleged inspections of student e-mail accounts and attempts to access Facebook pages under false pretenses.

The consensus of my conversations and e-mails: Undergraduates think that the administration takes them for granted. They want our tuition dollars for their budget and SAT scores for their admissions literature, but do they really care about our experience?

NU is undergoing a quality-of-life crisis. The trustees should speak directly to undergraduates about their experiences and not take administrators at their word. If they do, they too will sense the brewing discontent.

NU belongs to the students and professors of today and the past, not administrators. Something must and can be done to reclaim our ownership.

Imagine an alumni group withholding donations until undergrads’ concerns are addressed. Or students publicizing their grievances outside of the admissions office as prospective Wildcats evaluate NU. Administrators will not listen until what they care about is endangered. Temporary harm is worth long-term good.