Despite small size, NU’s Zeta Phi Beta hosts state meeting

Proudly donning their colors of royal blue and white, more than 200 women representing every Illinois chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., met at the 41st Annual State of Illinois Leadership Conference held Saturday at Northwestern.

Though the location of the conference is typically chosen eight years in advance, attendees at last year’s state conference chose the Nu Sigma chapter of Zeta Phi Beta at NU to host this year’s conference.

“They saw how hard we were pushing to shine the light of Zeta,” said Noreen Stewart, a SESP senior and vice president of NU’s chapter of Zeta Phi Beta . “It’s a huge honor to host (the state conference) because all these dignitaries and elected officials come. It was our chance to shine and put our chapter out there.”

Officially chartered on Aug. 28, 2005, NU’s chapter has five members. Its recent establishment and small membership notwithstanding, the sorority’s officials chose NU to host the event because of the many accomplishments of NU’s Zeta Phi Betas, said Weinberg junior Kelila Venson, president of NU’s chapter of Zeta Phi Beta.

NU’s Zeta Phi Betas’ outstanding community service won them the privilege of hosting this year’s event, she said. The chapter has won national awards for donations to the March of Dimes organization and aided victims of Hurricane Katrina.

“They have done a tremendous job, and since they came to campus in ’05, they have made a positive impact,” said Dominic Greene, director of fraternity and sorority life at NU . “I am very proud to work with the Nu Sigma (chapter’s) women.”

The state conference, themed “The Reunion,” began at 8:30 a.m. at Norris University Center.

Corsages of white roses tied with blue ribbon and programs with letters from political figures such as Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich (D) and Democratic presidential candidate and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama were passed out as the “sorors” of Zeta Phi Beta awaited the commencement of their annual conference.

The purpose of the meeting is to conduct leadership training and to inform the sisters of national, regional and state matters and achievements. The day consisted of workshops, business sessions, campus tours and a celebration at Sargent Hall.

“This is an annual thing to do to commemorate our sisterhood,” said Shomari Wilson, a 1999 graduate of Illinois State University and member of the school’s graduate chapter of Zeta Phi Beta. “It gives us an opportunity to reconnect with our sorority and the founding principles that we have.”

Many prominent members of Zeta Phi Beta spoke during the commencement ceremony.

“Sorors, I urge you to stand steadfast to our principles of sisterly love, scholarship and finer womanhood,” said Daisy Davis, the Great Lakes regional director of Zeta Phi Beta. “If we stand steadfast to these principles, we will grow.”

The Rev. Jacquelyn H. Collier, chaplain of Illinois’ chapters of Zeta Phi Beta, spoke about choosing leaders within the sorority.

“Don’t pick a leader on how they look,” Collier said. “I’m having a bad hair day, but I’m still a leader.”

After more than a year’s worth of planning and hard work, Venson said she thought the conference was a success.

“I still can’t believe it. It really came together,” she said. “It’s one of those experiences where you see all your hard work coming into existence. It’s a really good feeling.”

Reach Heidi Kim at [email protected].