Evanston Area Challengers Fall Short

By Matt PresserThe Daily Northwestern

On the North Shore, it was a day for the incumbents. Across the country, it was a day for the Democrats.

When incumbent U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Evanston) returns to Washington in January, she will be a member of the majority party for the first time in her eight-year career on Capitol Hill.

“I’m very gratified and grateful and happy that I’ll have a chance to go back,” she said after defeating Republican challenger Michael P. Shannon in Illinois’ 9th District. At press time she had about 75 percent of the vote.

“The American people have said they want change. They want a new direction, and we want to do that in a way that Democrats and Republicans can bring some real change for the American people.”

Nationwide, the Democrats picked up about 25 to 30 seats, and television news networks projected that the new House will have about 235 Democrats and 200 Republicans.

Schakowsky said she hopes to play a larger role on issues such as consumer protection, energy policy and health care policy. She currently is the ranking member on the commerce, trade and consumer protection subcommittee of the House’s Energy and Commerce committee.

“I’m close to who will be the new speaker, Nancy Pelosi (D-California), and I’m hoping to play a much more significant role now that the Democrats are in the majority,” she said.

Schakowsky said Democrats taking over the House means “a very different agenda and a very different tone” for Congress and the House of Representatives.

In other local races, Republican incumbent Elizabeth Coulson retained her seat in the Illinois House, winning 59 percent of the votes. Her Democratic opponent, Judith-Rae Ross, received 40 percent. Coulson represents part of northwest Evanston, as well as Glenview, Skokie and portions of Wilmette.

Incumbent state Rep. Julie Hamos and incumbent state Sen. Jeff Schoenberg, both Democrats representing Evanston, were unopposed in their elections.

At press time, an Evanston referendum seeking to increase the real estate transfer tax was trailing with about 48 percent of the vote, but only 60 percent of precincts had reported results. The new revenues would go into the city’s affordable housing fund.

Democrat Todd Stroger will succeed his father, John, as Cook County Board President. With about 70 percent of the precincts reporting, Stroger had 57 percent of the vote, topping Republican Tony Peraica’s 43 percent.

In state races, Democrat Alexi Giannoulias defeated Republican Christine Radogno for the state treasurer seat Republican Judy Baar Topinka vacated to run for Governor.

Giannoulias, a political novice who gained banking experience at Chicago’s Broadway Bank, took about 53 percent of the vote; Radogno had about 42 percent, with about 85 percent of the precincts reporting.

Other major state races were swept by their Democrat incumbents.

Incumbent Attorney General Lisa Madigan soundly defeated her Republican opponent, Stewart Umholtz, a Tazewell County state’s attorney.

Democratic Secretary of State Jesse White defeated Republican Dan Rutherford, and Daniel Hynes, the state’s Democratic comptroller, defeated Republican Carole Pankau.

Reach Matt Presser at [email protected].