NU provost steps down

Lawrence B. Dumas, provost of Northwestern University, will step down before the start of the 2007-08 academic year, said NU President Henry Bienen in a message Tuesday.

Dumas will take a year off, the message said, before deciding whether to return to NU in the department of biochemistry, molecular biology and cell biology. For the past few years, Dumas has been dealing with a health issue, Bienen wrote, adding that “he has responded well to treatment and his prognosis is encouraging.” According to the message, Dumas has decided to step down so someone who can devote their full attention to the post can take over.

“When the history of Northwestern is written anew, he will loom large in that history,” Bienen wrote in the message.

Dumas has been a member of NU’s faculty since 1970. He started in the department of biochemistry, molecular biology and cell biology, and was made an associate professor in 1975. He became a full professor in 1980. Dumas has also served as the dean of the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences for eight years.

“Larry has truly helped shape the very basis of Northwestern’s education,” the message said. “He has constantly challenged all of us to reach, to push and to strive to make Northwestern an outstanding academic institution.”

The Lawrence B. Dumas Distinguished University Professorship will be established at NU in his honor. The chair can come from any field, “reflecting Larry’s own wide-ranging interests at Northwestern,” the message said.

– Aliza Appelbaum