UP Investigates Incidents At NU Alumni Centers

By Emily GlazerThe Daily Northwestern

University Police were called to 2020 Ridge Ave. Tuesday to investigate a situation involving a fired employee, UP Assistant Chief Dan McAleer said. The building houses the Office of Alumni Relations and Development, among other NU offices. The John Evans Alumni Center was closed to the public the same day, but it was unclear whether the incidents were related.

McAleer said a “terminated worker” sent an e-mail that appeared threatening. The recipient of the e-mail notified the police, who contacted the worker and determined there was no actual threat.

“We were able to talk to (the worker) and make arrangements with him to return his personal property that had been left at his workplace,” McAleer said. “At this time, there is no indication of any imminent threat or danger to anyone in the workplace.”

The building remained open Wednesday afternoon.

Meanwhile, the John Evans Alumni Center closed Tuesday, and the front door remained locked Wednesday. Employees inside the center said it would continue to be closed to the public for at least the next day, but declined further comment.

McAleer said he was unaware of any “incident” at the alumni center, located at 1800 Sheridan Road.

Student workers told The Daily they were informed that they were not needed Tuesday, and there was no need to return for the next few days.

The Chicago Tribune reported Tuesday, citing an unnamed campus source, that uniformed police were inside the alumni center earlier that morning and staff members discussed security issues in a closed-door meeting.

“There seems to be information out there that for whatever reason is not true,” McAleer said. “There was no lockdown of the facility, no sending employees home or sending student workers home, as far as I know.”

Alan Cubbage, NU’s vice president for university relations, disputed the information in the Tribune article.

Cubbage said the university would not discuss why the alumni center was closed.

Catherine Stembridge, executive director of the Northwestern Alumni Association and NU’s associate vice president for alumni relations and development, declined comment when reached by phone Wednesday afternoon.

Vice President for Student AffairsWilliam Banis said he was unaware of the situation until Wednesday morning.

“If it’s a personnel issue you cannot get any information,” Banis said. “It’s a standard policy (because) personnel issues are considered confidential.”

The Daily’s Dan Fletcher, Julie French and Kirstin Maguire contributed to this report.

Reach Emily Glazer at [email protected].