North Taken In MLS Draft (Men’s Soccer)

By Abe RakovThe Daily Northwestern

Northwestern star Brad North was selected by D.C. United with the 24th pick of the Major League Soccer SuperDraft on Friday.

North is the first player in school history to be selected in the SuperDraft.

“It was one of the most amazing feelings ever when they said my name,” he said. “I was watching it online and actually didn’t have the window up because I was just expecting to listen for people that I knew get drafted. And then when I heard my name, I couldn’t believe it.”

The Woodlands, Texas, native was a second-round selection in the MLS SuperDraft, the four-round professional soccer draft.

North finished with a team-high nine goals for the Wildcats’ Elite Eight squad last season, and finished his career tied for second on NU’s goals list with 28. He was first in the Big Ten with a .41 goals-per-game average in 2006.

He scored 10 game-winning goals in his NU career and a school-record 10 goals in Big Ten play. North was a major part of the Cats resurgence, as the squad was 45-28-10 in his four seasons – NU was a combined 15-56-4 in the four years prior to North’s arrival, including a 0-17-1 mark in the 2000 season.

“I worked with (NU coach Tim Lenahan) and he talked to a couple coaches and helped me out quite a bit,” North said. “And I guess he created an interest in me.”

D.C. United finished with the most points in all of MLS last season before being upset in the Eastern Conference championship. The team’s current roster features just three forwards, and North was one of two forwards drafted by D.C. United.

North said while he didn’t have much contact with teams before the draft, D.C. United coach Tom Soehn called him after he was selected.

“I was flooded with phone calls right after it happened,” North said. “One of the calls was from (Soehn) welcoming to the team.”

The two-time first-team All-Big Ten selection is the second NU men’s soccer player to be drafted in two years, as Brad Napper was picked by FC Dallas in last year’s MLS Supplemental Draft. Napper has since returned to NU as an assistant coach.

North will report to D.C. United in late January or early February to compete for a spot on the squad.

“I haven’t made it yet,” the 6-foot-1 forward said. “This is more or less like a tryout. It’s a little different from other sports from what I hear. You have to go out and earn a spot on the team.”

Abe Rakov can be reached at [email protected].