In Just 2 Days Of Registration, DM Fills Dancer Slots

By Emily GlazerThe Daily Northwestern

Weinberg sophomore Katie Rose went to sign up for Dance Marathon on only the second day of registration. She still didn’t get a spot.

She ended up spending two months on a wait list. DM registered to capacity within the first two days of registration and started a wait list by 2 p.m. the second day, said Chip Newcom, a McCormick senior and DM’s executive co-chairman.

For Rose, DM – one of the world’s largest student-run philanthropies- has special meaning this year. That’s because DM’s primary beneficiary is the non-profit Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy. Rose has two family members with the disease.

After two months on the wait list, Rose got an e-mail late Tuesday night: She had a spot as a dancer.

DM participants have danced to records in the past, but this year they are setting them months before the event starts. Not only do they have a record number of participants this year, but the dancer spots filled up in record time.

For would-be dancers like Rose, though, there was good news. The number of dancers is determined by the fire department, which raised the capacity after the initial registration.

The capacity has increased each year, Newcom said.

Last year the fire department increased DM’s capacity to 550 dancers from 500 in 2005. This year they increased the number to 600 dancers after registration, Newcom said.

DM’s executive board might not have Rose’s personal reason to support epilepsy research, but it shares her enthusiasm, Public Relations Chairman Kunal Kadakia said.

“The executive board was 200 percent behind it, supported it and was passionate about it,” said Kadakia, a Communication senior.

DM’s donation will help fund grants for epilepsy research, he said.

Evanston Community Foundation will be the secondary beneficiary. ECF funds organizations and initiatives to improve life in Evanston.

ECF has been the secondary beneficiary for more than 10 years and will receive 10 percent of the funds raised this year .

Last year DM raised $686,377.

Reach Emily Glazer at [email protected].