Get Your Groove On

The intersection of Rush and Division provides two different paths for your night. You could try the beers on a casual tour of pubs common along Division or you could dance at the chic nightclubs dotted among bars along Rush. No matter which way you want to go, start the night at Funk Groove Bar.

The large blue marquis with the word “Funk” glows above the entrance. Entering the club is akin to walking into someone’s dark basement-turned-club. Walk down the stairs and go up to the central bar for a drink. The drink prices are reasonable; you’ll still be able to afford cover at other dance clubs in the area. Stake out a table along the wall and maybe buy a shot from one of the servers if they come around.

After a drink (or three), slink out to the dance floor and groove to a bit of Top 40, a little bit of dance remixes or hip-hop on Friday. The DJ welcomes requests and if a song really moves you, there are elevated poles for you to, um, dance around. There are two VIP areas for those who want to start the night a little more upscale.

The crowd is a mix of everyone: yuppies, college kids, international tourists and girls on their night out, dressed in jeans and either a blazer or some variety of black blouse. Get there and get out early; the bar is much smaller than most in the area and fills up quickly. But that’s ok – Funk Groove should be the first stop of many, and if you still want to keep your night going after the clubs shut down, you can go back to top it off.

Funk Groove Bar, 5 W. Division, is located off the CTA stop at Clark and Division. Hours are 9 p.m.-4 a.m. Sun. through Fri. and 9 p.m.-5 a.m. on Sat.

– Tina Trenkner