Fill Student Seats For Fitz And The Team

By Alec DavisThe Daily Northwestern

There might not be anything better in the United States than Saturdays in the fall, because that is when you will find college football. I love baseball and pro football. But I think if I were to show someone from another country what American sports are about, I would choose a college football game. The atmosphere in a college town during gameday is like nothing else – at least if you’re in a town other than Evanston.

I know we’re working against tough odds here. We have a student body that’s a mere fraction of the size of the schools we regularly play against. We also have a student body that is a little more academically oriented, “nerdy” if you will. And we have a football team that isn’t exactly known for its ability to win football games.

But that doesn’t mean we should sit back and accept the fact that Evanston will never be a Columbus, Madison or Ann Arbor. Gameday can be a great event, even if you don’t like football.

I suggest waking up early and getting a good start to the day. Tailgating or kegs-and-eggs are two time-tested methods, and I suggest taking advantage of these. When else in life can you start drinking at 7 a.m. and not have to worry about the word “alcoholism” being thrown around?

After you’ve had a couple of beverages to warm yourself up and get the juices flowing, throw on your purple and get to the game. And yes, I mean purple and not just Northwestern apparel. I shouldn’t have to explain what’s wrong with wearing a blue or gray NU shirt in the student section. Just turn on the Penn State game, have a look at the “white out” and you’ll see what I mean.

And if nothing else, please just go to the game. It’s sad to see a half-filled student section. What’s the point of a home game if you don’t have a crowd there to support the team? Our student section can be strong at times, but there’s definitely room for improvement.

I know our team hasn’t exactly had a stellar season so far. I never thought I would have said this, but I really miss last year’s quarterback, Brett Basanez. And I miss Randy Walker and Mike Dunbar running the offense. I put our offensive play calling this year somewhere between the categories of godawful and horrendous. And yes, that means we play pretty ugly football.

But I still have faith in Coach Pat Fitzgerald and the team. We might not lead the Big Ten this year (quite the opposite, in fact), but we’re still a part of possibly the best conference in college football, and there’s no reason not to enjoy it.

There’s really nothing too difficult about it, and I guarantee the players appreciate the effort. So grab a drink, grab a friend, grab a football, grab your purple and have a good time. You can’t tell me you were really going to study at 11 a.m. anyway.

McCormick senior Alec Davis can be reached at [email protected].