Frosh Draws Comparison To Donald

By Zach Silka

GLENCOE, Ill. –

The past and future of the Northwestern men’s golf program came face-to-face for the first time Monday. And while the moment was bursting with meaning, there was no fanfare, and one of the individuals involved didn’t even realize it was happening.

As freshman Jonathan Bowers strode to the second tee box at Skokie Country Club during the final round of the Windon Memorial Classic, a surprise visitor was awaiting him. Yet Bowers was so dialed in on his final four holes, he admitted after his round that he didn’t even notice him.

Luke Donald, sporting a black NU hat with jeans and a black Ralph Lauren Polo jacket, had perched himself just on the right edge of the tee box after deciding earlier in the morning to come out and watch his alma mater challenge for back-to-back Windon Memorial titles.

Shouting words of encouragement to his successors every so often and signing an occasional autograph like he did for a young boy on No. 5, Donald watched the Wildcats melt down in front of his eyes to finish in a tie for seventh. Still, Donald pointed out one beacon of hope for the Cats this season and for the next three on top of that.

“I watched (Bowers) play a few holes, and he’s doing well,” Donald said. “It was nice to come out and get a chance to see him play.”

Just as Donald raised NU to a whole new level of college golf, Bowers may be the one who ultimately takes the Cats back to tasting success at the NCAA Championships. Bowers earned a pair of top-10 finishes in his first two collegiate tournaments and is already drawing comparisons to Donald at the same age.

“This is unfair to say about him, but in some ways his game reminds me of Luke’s,” NU coach Pat Goss said. “He hits it solidly. He doesn’t hit it quite far enough yet. He really keeps the golf course in front of him. He understands how to compete and how to manage his game.”

Bowers credits the “supportive environment” that the Cats’ upperclassmen have created as a driving force for his success.

Even though Bowers missed a third top-10 finish Monday with his 10-over 81 in the final round, senior Chris Wilson still made it a point to walk over and congratulate him on a job well done.

As the team’s seniors, Wilson and David Merkow have made it a point this year to take care of the “little things” with the freshmen, like making themselves available to answer questions about class or college in general.

“They’ve shown me how to handle myself on the golf course and off,” Bowers said. “Pretty much they’re helping so that when I’m senior, I’ll help the freshmen then. I still have a lot to learn, though, I can guarantee you.”

A native of Columbus, Ohio, Bowers started playing golf at the age of four with family and began to take a strong interest in the game once he entered middle school.

Those attributes are a dime a dozen in golf, but one habit Bowers developed in high school is more Tiger-esque than college-esque.

According to his mother, Rose, Bowers has made a list of goals for himself since he was a junior in high school. The first set of goals he made included “Getting an offer to play for the Division I school of my choice” at the very top. Bowers checked that off his list soon after that, when Goss came calling to replace Dillon Dougherty, WCAS ’06, on this year’s squad.

The newest set of goals Bowers made for himself this past summer was much more modest. It centered around making the Cats’ travel squad and making some contribution to the team.

Check and double check.

If Bowers eventually decides to write “Win a national championship” on his next set of goals, Goss may one day be hesitant to compare his next generation of NU golfers to Jonathan Bowers because of his aura in the golf world.

And Donald may finally have some company signing autographs at future Windon Memorial Classics.

Sports editor emeritus Zach Silka is a Medill senior. He can be reached at [email protected].