Cats earn perfect conference record with sweep of Buckeyes in home finale (Women’s Tennis)

Northwestern has sat on top of the Big Ten all season. Following Sunday’s victory against Ohio State (13-11, 3-7 Big Ten), the Wildcats now boast a perfect conference record in addition to their regular season conference title.

In what was almost an instant replay of last year’s final regular season match, NU (17-4, 10-0) swept the Buckeyes 7-0 to cap off an undefeated conference season.

The team couldn’t have asked for a better setting for its final home match; fans came decked out in NU gear, and kids in “Georgia Rose fan” T-shirts dotted the bleachers.

At the start, a series of double faults plagued both teams at No. 1 doubles, but all three doubles matches resulted in NU victories giving the Cats an early lead.

Prousis at No. 3 and freshman Nazlie Ghazal at No. 5 singles were the only matches to enter a third set, with NU coming out on top in both.

Freshman Georgia Rose added another win to her record, taking the first singles match 6-0, 6-0.

“I feel very comfortable with my game now and with how everyone on the team is playing,” Rose said. “I have no worries about what’s coming up.”

Having already clinched first place in the Big Ten, the Cat’s shutout against the Buckeyes proved to be icing on the Big Ten cake.

“I’ve enjoyed this regular season more than the past few,” coach Claire Pollard said. “I thought this team really learned and got better as the year went on.

“They’ve been a good group to work with and I think the season shows how hard they’ve worked.”

NU has now claimed the No. 1 spot in the Big Ten for seven of the last eight seasons, with this year’s conference victory marking NU’s third, consecutive title.

On Thursday Pollard and the team will gun for yet another consecutive title – their eighth Big Ten Championship. Grier will look to finish off her collegiate career with a fourth Big Ten Championship, and Rose will aim to continue her winning streak following her twenty-fifth consecutive singles victory on Sunday.

But being on top always has its pitfalls. The Cats travel to Champaign, Ill., Thursday as the team to beat.

“It’s tough when you always win because everyone expects you to win, and I think we carry a little bit of a burden there,” she said. “Each year the pressure grows for NU to stay on top, and that’s important to realize.”

Pollard is trying to keep short term goals in mind and remain focused on what lies ahead.

“It’s nice to go on competing in the Big Ten,” Pollard said, “and seeing if someone can step up and play the match of her life. I think that’s what it’s going to take, and I think we are going to play the match of our lives and I think that’s always the goal.”

Reach Diane Yamazaki at [email protected].