Lovely: New guide caters to ‘modern romantic’

If you’ve ever wanted to know how your palm can predict your love prospects – or even if you’re just curious about how much the average American spends on Valentine’s Day – then look no further than Love Notes: A Random Reference for the Modern Romantic. A collection of lists gathered by Amy Maniatis, Elizabeth Weil and Natasha Bondy, Love Notes answers many of the questions you were wondering about love – and some you didn’t even think of.

Ever wonder how to choose the right diamond? In two pages, this guide takes you step-by-step through the process, defining and explaining the “Four Cs” (cut, color, clarity and carats, in case you care) that factor in when buying a diamond. Don’t believe that men are more likely to fall in love at first sight? Love Notes will prove you wrong, citing a study done by researcher Helen Fisher at Rutgers University.

Have a foreign significant other? Love Notes will show you how to say “I love you” in your partner’s native language, ranging from Albanian to Zulu. Other A-to-Z lists abound in this book, including one about various aphrodisiacs and their effects on the body.

Love Notes is also a good source for quotes about love, including famous proverbs and quotes from popular romantic movies like When Harry Met Sally. There are also lists of popular TV couples, couples who were together on film and in real life and even a list of celebrities who tied the knot in Vegas.

Love Notes also boasts passages from the most famous love stories throughout history, including scenes from Romeo and Juliet and La Boh