Fifth-year student killed in car crash

Fifth-year Music senior Soumit Ghosh died Tuesday night near Nashville, Tenn. Ghosh died from injuries sustained in a car accident that happened Saturday, according to the State Medical Examiner’s office in Nashville. He was 22.

Friends and teachers said Ghosh was a jovial and vibrant person with a wide variety of interests. He was particularly dedicated to the violin, which he had been learning since the age of five. He completed his violin major last year and was finishing his major in communication studies this year.

“He absolutely loved music and loved the violin,” said Gerardo Ribeiro, Ghosh’s violin teacher for the past five years. “That was really his first love.”

Ghosh used music to “express himself without words,” said Tom Parisi, Music ’05.

“It was kind of fun to see how he progressed throughout the years,” Parisi said. “You could just tell he loved (the violin) so much.”

Aside from music, Ghosh had a passion for medicine. He was planning on attending medical school after college, Parisi said.

“He was a very generous person,” Parisi said. “He felt like that was one of the ways he could give back.”

At NU, Ghosh pursued a number of majors at NU in search of an outlet for his many goals, said Linda Garton, assistant dean for admission and student affairs for the School of Music.

“We had a lot of discussions about all the programs at Northwestern, just because he had so many interests,” she said. “He always wanted to explore every single option that Northwestern had to offer. He didn’t want to leave any rock unturned.”

Ghosh was active on campus. He started a petition to improve practice rooms in the Music Administration Building and collected about 300 signatures, Parisi said. Last year he started a tutoring company to help middle- and high-school students.

“He was probably one of the most resilient people I’ve ever met,” Parisi said.

His range of experience helped him be a better resident assistant in Slivka College of Science and Engineering last year, said Weinberg senior Daniel Solera, who was a fellow RA in Slivka.

“He was very knowledgeable about the system,” Solera said. “He was a very outgoing and social guy. People felt comfortable talking to him.”

His love for laughter helped defray some of the the stress of being an RA.

“I remember from day one of training that we realized (Ghosh) was a really funny guy,” Solera said. “He created a really laid-back atmosphere that was pretty essential to some of the things we were dealing with in (residential life).”

Ghosh went to Nashville to help his brother with an audition, Parisi said. The accident occurred while he was driving back to Evanston.

The School of Music circulated an e-mail on Wednesday informing students about Ghosh’s death.

“The School of Music faculty and students will miss him,” Garton said.

Details about memorial services are forthcoming.

The Daily’s Laura Olson contributed to this report.

Reach Deepa Seetharaman at [email protected].