Cultural Fest showcases black influence in Mexico

Anabel Tapia, a member of the Chicago-based Mexican band Tarima Son, danced in a strong, passionate rhythm atop a platform on McCormick Tribune Forum’s stage Wednesday night. As she moved and swayed her skirt, the other members played Mexican stringed instruments and sang in Spanish. The audience of about 30 clapped along with the beat.

Alianza and Hispanic/Latino Student Affairs held its annual Cultural Fest on Wednesday. “African Mestizaje in Mexico” explored the African influence in Mexican culture and featured a concert performed by Tarima Son, a Chicago band that plays traditional music from Veracruz, Mexico.

The band formed in January 2002 and presents educational workshops in addition to playing private parties and concerts. Their style of music is familiar to mainstream audiences in songs like “La Bamba.”

Tarima Son’s style is called “son jarocho,” which blends Spanish, indigenous and African influences into music. It is accompanied by the “zapateado jarocho,” a rhythmic dance performed atop a platform called a “tarima,” from which the band derives its name.

“Being from Mexico, we had an interest in all kinds of Mexican music, especially Afro-Mexican music,” said band member Roberto Ferreyra.

Cultural Fest, in its sixth year, brings in a speaker or performer from a specific Latin American country or region. Past Cultural Fests have featured guests from places such as Puerto Rico and Brazil.

This year’s event was co-sponsored by African American Student Affairs. Because of the affiliation, Alianza wanted to hold an event that would include both Hispanics and blacks.

“We wanted to do something with Black History Month,” said Weinberg senior Ana Valenzuela, president of Alianza. “We wanted to educate our members and NU about something people don’t know about.”

Taking all of these elements into consideration, Alianza decided to address the African influence in Mexico.

“This is something people are not aware of. People think it’s either black or Latino, but being black is essentially part of being Latino,” said Lijia Evariz, a Weinberg junior and Alianza’s vice president.

Between songs, Ferreyra gave a brief history on the African influence in Mexico during the period of Mexican colonization.

The Spanish brought in African slaves after 80 percent of the indigenous population was killed off by disease or forced labor.

Ferreyra also discussed the role of race in Mexico.

“In Mexico, there was a melting of cultures, and classes (were built) among race,” he said.

This racial oppression frustrates Ferreyra.

“I don’t like the terms of race. There is one race – the human being,” he said.

Audience members were surprised by how the Cultural Fest performance linked Hispanics and blacks.

“I was shocked about the history and how Africans were forced into the mountains (of Mexico),” said McCormick junior Aquee Easley. “It was very informative.”

SESP junior Brie Jefferson said more events such as Cultural Fest would help promote harmony between different racial groups at Northwestern.

“I feel it would promote more side-by-side things,” she said. “Many times, one group dominates the other.”

Reach Andrea Castillo at [email protected].