Military, politics in Israel closely linked, says prof

The military and politicians are in a competitive partnership within the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, said visiting professor Kobi Michael Friday to about 30 students and faculty members at the Center for International and Comparative Studies Friday.

“There is a sense of more than closeness between the statesman and the warlord now,” Michael said from the head of the conference table. “But there is not just harmony there.”

In his presentation, “Between Militarism and Statesmanship in Low Intensity Conflict: Lessons from the Israeli-Palestinian Experience,” Michael described the current relationship between the military and politicians. He said they share an intellectual partnership but also struggle for influence over one another.

Michael, an Israel native, is visiting Northwestern for two years and teaching one class per quarter in the political science department. Before teaching at Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Michael served 22 years in the Israeli military.

“My service was a wide and rich experience, but it was limited to the military,” Michael said. “I was looking for some answers I felt concerned about during my military experience.”

In his presentation Michael focused on the Oslo Accords, which attempted to bring a peaceful resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in 1993.

Using a PowerPoint slide show, Michael drew out a conceptual map of the relationship between Israeli military and politics. The map showed how the military and politicians formed conflict-management strategy for the Israeli-Palestinian struggle.

The groups are so closely tied that military experience opens up political opportunities, he said.

“To be a senior officer in the military is something that can be converted to a political asset,” Michael said. For instance, current prime minister Ariel Sharon served more than 30 years in the Israeli Defense Force, he said.

Many audience members said they were unaware of Israel’s inner power struggle. They said the media focuses more on Israel and Palestine’s conflict over right to Jerusalem.

“I had no idea there was so much dissension between the political and military echelons,” Weinberg sophomore Georgette Argiris said. “When there’s internal conflict, it’s much more difficult to come to a conclusion about how to solve bigger issues.”

At the end of the presentation, Michael fielded audience members’ questions and comments, which could help in his research.

When questioned on the possibility of resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Michael said such a question would require a full course.

“Both sides, with the support of the international community, should be able to manage the amount of casualties and damages,” Michael said. “But I am not so optimistic about resolving the conflict in the near future.”

Reach Katie Euphrat at [email protected]