Water’ workin’ it

A poster in the ladies’ bathroom at Waterhouse, 3407 N. Paulina St., greets women washing their hands with zoom shots of men’s crotches in decorative banana hammocks – we’re talking in zebra, leopard and floral prints – and asks which is funniest, thus promoting the TBS network’s prime-time mantra. It makes you wonder what’s covering the walls in the men’s room.

That said, Waterhouse offers plenty of co-ed amusements in a cozy atmosphere, from the multiple flat-screen TVs flashing sports highlights to the huge, comfortable booths and exposed brick walls. Dim light emanates from several low-hanging chandeliers, and the bar’s namesake manifests itself in the form of small waterfalls behind the front bar and in the back room.

A laid-back crowd has the option to dance on a smallish hardwood floor in the back of the bar to tunes spun by a DJ on the weekends after 9 p.m., but most patrons wait until the liquor sets in before stepping out to groove to pop and hip-hop beats. The friendly wait staff and amicable clientele help make for a relaxed, low-key night.

Drinks are relatively inexpensive and the menu lists all the basic beers and cocktails with a few fun drinks – such as the white wine sangria, offered by the glass and by the pitcher – tossed in for good measure. The food selection includes bar staples, such as nachos and buffalo wings, but also boasts mussels, salads and wraps – most for between $6 and $8.

Waterhouse is open Monday through Friday from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. It’s almost directly underneath the CTA brown line Paulina stop. For more information, call 773-871-1200.

– Kim Jeffries