Looking for Comedy’ searches far too long

If the title suggests that Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World is a serious critique delivered through humor, the title is misleading, even though this may have been Albert Brooks’ intent. In fact, he may indicate this when he introduces a comedy act to an Indian audience halfway though the movie by saying, “I am going to do some intellectual stuff and some bottom of the barrel routines.”

Brooks – who wrote, directed and starred in the film – seems to be attempting the same mix in the film: intertwining base humor with a serious cultural critique. Unfortunately, he only finds success in the familiar residue of the bottom barrel.

The story follows an out-of-work comedian who is summoned by the State Department to find out what makes Muslims laugh. Sent to India and Pakistan to write a 500-page report, he fills the pages with interviews rife with miscommunication and sets up India’s first-ever stand-up show only to receive a harsh response and ends up telling jokes to a group of hash-smoking Pakistanis.

Looking for Comedy is at its best when exploiting a failed comedy routine or relishing in the inability of Brooks’ assistant (played by a remarkable Sheetal Sheth) to understand sarcasm. These moments are good for chuckles, but any kind of insight is rare and unsatisfying.

Instead of being cross cultural, Brooks’ film comes across as almost ignorant. Specifically, he suggests that his character causes an international incident between India and Pakistan. Granted, there is a little humor there, but mostly this conveys a lack of understanding.

Brooks does an ample job of portraying the idea that that humor reflects culture and that what makes an American laugh might not make an Indian or Pakistani laugh. Still, an hour and a half is a long time to get across this message that could be stated more simply – not to mention more briefly.

– JC Longbottom