Final conference contest holds last slot in Big Tens (Women’s Soccer)

This is it.

After more than a month of conference play, Northwestern has a simple ultimatum going into its last conference game against Wisconsin (8-8-2, 2-6-1) on Friday.

A win and the Wildcats are headed to the Big Ten tournament in Ann Arbor, Mich., next week.

A loss or a tie and their season is over.

“We know that if we lose, we’re done,” defender Tori Bohannon said. “It’s definitely pressure, but it’s a good pressure.”

A win Friday, coupled with a loss or tie by Indiana and a loss by Michigan, would propel NU up to sixth in the conference and would end the prospect of a first-round meeting with No. 1 Penn State.

A loss and – well, there’s always next year.

“It’ll be very disappointing considering the talent we have on this team,” Haigh said.

Wisconsin (8-8-2, 2-6-1 Big Ten) vs. NU (9-8-1, 2-6-1)

3 p.m. Friday

Leonard B. Thomas Athletic Complex

The Badgers, who also sit ninth in the conference, can clinch a tournament berth with a win against NU.

“Nobody will be playing for a tie,” coach Jenny Haigh said. “Right now a tie ends it for both of us.”

Besides the importance of Friday’s game in terms of a berth in the conference tournament, NU (9-8-1, 2-6-1 Big Ten) has connections with the University and state of Wisconsin that could intensify the match.

Haigh graduated from Wisconsin in 1995 and played for coach Dean Duerst. She called him one of her “mentors.”

“I have a lot of respect for him,” she said. “This game feels a little more personal than the other ones.”

Three of NU’s four starting defenders, the last line between the Badgers’ attack and the goal, are from the Badger State.

Neenah native Bohannon said the Badgers have been a handful the two times she’s played them.

“It’s always been really close,” she said. “It’s always a battle to the end. It’s definitely going to be a full 90 minutes, if not longer.”

Milwaukee native Shannon Cusick said the back line needs to stay focused and communicate to keep the ball out of the net.

“There’s a lot of pressure,” she said, “But we feel confident as a team.”

The Badgers, like the Cats, have a 2-6-1 record in the conference and know the pain of close losses. Seven of their eight defeats have been by one goal.

Haigh said Wisconsin is similar to NU in its style of play and results this year.

The Cats are 3-10-0 all-time against their rival to the north.

“Wisconsin is one of the best pure soccer teams in the Big Ten,” she said. “They play a really quality and attacking game. It will be a competitive game, and that’s fun. There’s no other reason to get inspired for this game.”

Reach David Morrison at

[email protected].