NEWS BRIEF

Children and adults alike took advantage of the bright sun and unseasonably warm weather Saturday morning to participate in “Laps for Literacy,” a program benefiting an Evanston literacy programs for adults.

More than 25 walkers of different ages came out to walk at Evanston Township High School, 1600 Dodge Ave. Eight to 10 people from Misericordia Home, a facility in Chicago for people with developmental disabilities, also participated.

Organizers said they were still counting how much money they raised.

According to program volunteer teacher Maureen Sheehy, the year-round program, which is free to students, sorely needs the funds raised by Laps for Literacy.

“Last year, there were no books,” Sheehy said. “We need more money to keep doing what we’re doing.”

The Adult Literacy Program at ETHS created Laps for Literacy this year to raise funds for its course offerings. The project is part of the school’s Adult/Continuing Education program. Walkers set a goal amount per lap and collected funds for each lap they walked. Several Evanston businesses also sponsored the event.

Jeanie Ramsey, Adult Literacy Program coordinator, said Laps for Literacy helped to “publicize the existence of the Adult Literacy Program.”

Judy Holman, an employee in Northwestern’s registrar’s office, teaches a pre-GED course and has taught with the Adult Literacy Program for five years. Holman previously taught the fifth grade and said she wanted to teach again in a volunteer capacity.

“Every now and then, you wonder what is your purpose on the planet,” Holman said. “I understand it every time I come into class.”

For more information on the Adult Literacy Program, contact Ramsey at (847) 424-7635 or via e-mail at [email protected].

– Nomaan Merchant