Interactive exhibit puts world issues on display

A three-day exhibit seeking to raise questions about problems in the world and Jesus’ role in those problems opened in Norris University Center on Monday.

The exhibit, “Quaerens: Inquiries into a Divine Interruption,” is part of a national Christian campaign and is making appearances on college campuses across the country. Quaerens, Latin for “inquiries,” points out problems in the world through video messages, photographs and interactive bulletin boards.

“Quaerens” invites students to respond to the exhibit. Viewers can share their personal experiences anonymously by sticking a red dot under categories they can relate to. Several red dots were left under the headings “I have seen the effects of eating disorders in someone close to me” and “I know someone who has died of cancer.” Students could also write their comments on index cards and post them.

The exhibit is sponsored by four campus Christian organizations and is located next to the main desk of Norris.

“If they come away with something that strikes them as significant, then that’s great,” said Weinberg sophomore Brian Tam. Tam is a member of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship’s multiethnic chapter, one of the groups sponsoring the exhibit. “That’s what we’re trying to do.”

The exhibit combines visual feed with the opportunity for viewers to comment in either writing or through artwork. Three video monitor screens supply media images and quotes designed to shock: One shows images of luxury and wealth set to a fast-paced, techno beat before quickly switching to eerie, somber music paired with scenes of devastation: poverty, death and war.

Another screen flashes statistics that show the prevalence of racial discrimination in the United States.

The last features first-person narratives of victims of injustice: “He gave me a T-shirt to wear after raping me,” the voice-over said.

Weinberg sophomore Adriana Herrera, a member of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, said Quaerens will allow students often preoccupied with academics and other activities, to step back for a moment and to reflect on social issues.

“This is just a really good way to open your eyes and really see what’s going on in the world,” Herrera said.

The exhibit attracted the attention of many onlookers.

“I thought it was a tech thing at first,” said Lars Johnson, Weinberg ’05.

Johnson called the exhibit “visually stunning” but said he didn’t see how it related to Christianity and disagreed with part of the exhibit’s message.

“I don’t feel morality will solve the world’s problems,” he said. “But I’m impressed by the exhibit.”

“Quaerens” wraps up on Wednesday with a lecture by Shane Claiborne in Ryan Family Auditorium in the Technological Institute.

Reach Andrea Chang at [email protected].