Wildcats lose senior before road opener (Football)

Northwestern coach Randy Walker said his offense was as unlucky as it could get when referring to the injuries his team sustained early this season. But the Wildcats became even more shorthanded Wednesday, as Walker announced senior wide receiver Mark Philmore would not participate with the team for an undetermined amount of time.

Walker said Philmore is not suspended but is taking a “respite” from the team for personal reasons. He was not at practice Wednesday and will not make the trip to No. 18 Arizona State (1-1) this weekend.

“It’s a staff decision,” Walker said. “It’s personal. I’m not going to discuss it. I’m not going to tell you why. It’s a Northwestern football family decision, and it’s going to stay in this family. I think it’s better left untold.”

Philmore was doing pushups up and down the sidelines at practice Tuesday, which Walker said was something between the receiver and his position coach.

“That was something his coach felt like he needed to do,” Walker said. “But it wasn’t a conditioning thing.”

Philmore ranks ninth on NU’s all-time receptions list. He finished last season as the team’s top receiver, catching 54 balls for 633 yards.

He battled minor injuries in the first two games this year and was held to five catches for 44 yards in the contests. Because of Philmore’s lack of playing time the first two games, Walker said the loss would not have much of an effect on the team.

“We think Kim (Thompson) has a chance of being ready to go this week, it will be nice to get him back and going,” Walker said.

The NU offense has the reigning Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week and the current national scoring co-leader in freshman running back Tyrell Sutton.

Sutton has gained 318 yards on the ground. In just two games he has tied the NU freshmen season record with six rushing touchdowns.

“For a freshman to come out here and do what I’ve been able to do for this team is tremendous,” Sutton said. “But I’m not into the personal accolades. I want to do something for the team to get us all recognized.”

Sutton, the fourth-leading rusher in the country, is quickly gaining recognition around the nation. But Walker said he is not worried about having to make changes in the gameplan if Arizona State keys on the rushing attack.

“I remember there was a time when they kind of loaded up to stop Damien (Anderson), and we didn’t have enough answers everywhere else,” Walker said. “I think we have more answers on our football team than we’ve ever had in our offensive realm.”

Arizona State also has had few problems moving the ball so far this season.

The Sun Devils rank fourth in the nation in passing yards, averaging 360 yards per game. They are led by junior quarterback Sam Keller, who ranks second nationally in passing yardage with 669 yards in two games.

In last week’s loss to No. 3 Louisiana State (1-0), Keller threw for 461 yards and four touchdowns.

“I’ve watched the game, and he’s a really good quarterback,” senior linebacker Tim McGarigle said. “But I think we have a pretty good defense, and we match up well against them.”

Reach Abe Rakov at [email protected].