Cats cruise to victory

Football

In February, Northwestern coach Randy Walker called this year’s recruiting class one of the most talented groups NU has ever recruited. But he also said it would take three or four years to know how good these young players will be.

It took one game for true freshman running back Tyrell Sutton.

After starting running back Brandon Roberson suffered a game-ending ankle injury, Sutton stepped in and ran for 104 yards on 17 carries including two touchdowns. His performance and an explosive start for senior quarterback Brett Basanez helped lead the Cats (1-0) to a 38-14 victory against Ohio (0-1) Saturday at Ryan Field.

“It was everything I envisioned and more,” Sutton said. “I was nervous at first, but after the first hit I didn’t feel any more nerves. It felt good to come out and do what I did.”

Sutton gave the Cats a 17-0 lead in the middle of the second quarter, capping off an 88-yard drive with a 17-yard touchdown run, the first of his NU career.

On the Bobcats’ next drive, NU defensive tackle Barry Cofield recovered a fumble by Ohio quarterback Austen Everson.

The Cats looked like they would add to their 17-point lead, but NU quarterback Brett Basanez fumbled an option attempt when his pitch to wide receiver Jonathan Fields fell to Ohio’s Dion Byrum. Byrum returned the fumble 62 yards for the touchdown, cutting NU’s lead to 10.

But Basanez and the Cats settled down after the turnover.

Basanez completed seven passes on the next possession, including four to wide receiver Shaun Herbert. And the Cats finished off the drive with an 18-yard touchdown pass from Basanez to Herbert, the second touchdown of the game for both.

“I thought Brett Basanez was really sharp, as sharp as I’ve ever seen him,” Walker said. “I can’t say enough Shaun Herbert, going over the middle and making big catch after big catch.”

The touchdown gave the Cats a 24-7 lead. They added another touchdown before halftime to give NU a 31-7 advantage at the break.

Herbert led the Cats with seven catches for 93 yards. Basanez finished 27-37 with 353 yards and three touchdowns