NU alumna transitions into Hispanic Affairs job

After serving as acting director of the Hispanic/Latino Student Affairs for nearly a year, Ronnie Rios has crossed out the word “acting” from her business cards.

Rios, Weinberg ’04, was hired as Hispanic/Latino Student Affairs’ permanent director by the Office of Multicultural Affairs earlier this week — a move some students said would increase unity among the Latino population, about 5 percent of Northwestern’s student body.

“(Rios) has many good ideas and is very enthusiastic and dedicated,” said Weinberg sophomore Lijia Evariz. “All that will transfer to the students and it will help the Hispanic community become more united and grow further.”

Rios said she plans to help bridge the gap among Latinos at NU by programming more events and establishing connections with more faculty and administrators. She said she also plans to network with Latino professionals in Chicago and Evanston.

“In the position, I definitely want to work with our students to help create a greater sense of a Hispanic community,” Rios said.

The appointment came after the Office of Multicultural Affairs led a national search for a director this spring. Students were allowed to participate in the selection process last week by meeting with the two final candidates.

“The most crucial feedback to get is from students,” said Weinberg junior Jaime Flores. “It makes sense to include us (in the selection process) because we know the concerns of the Latino community.”

According to Carretta Cooke, executive director of Multicultural Affairs, student input was helpful in selecting the new director.

“The students were ecstatic about our decision, and that is extremely important to us,” Cooke said.

Cooke added that Rios’ commitment to the Latino community, her desire to be a student affairs professional and her work as acting director made her the top choice for the job.

Rios will coordinate all Latino groups on campus, implement programs, build awareness of Latino issues and assist Latino students in finding scholarships and job opportunities.

Rios, who graduated last spring, has been acting director of Hispanic/Latino Student Affairs since September. The Office of Multicultural Affairs hired her to temporarily fill the position while they mounted a national search to find a new director.

Lupita Temiquel, the Hispanic and Latino student services director for two years, left the position last spring to become NU’s judicial affairs officer.

Even as acting director, Rios worked to foster a cohesive Latino community on campus, students said. She helped plan the Comedy Beatdown last month — a milestone for the Latino community because all Latino groups on campus participated.

Rios also held a Hispanic/Latino Heritage Awards ceremony Wednesday, at which Latino students were recognized for their help and dedication for the Latino community at NU.

“Rios helps us out a lot and keeps us updated with the changes in the direction of (multicultural affairs),” said Mayra Vega, a Weinberg sophomore and Alianza’s outgoing secretary. “She has always made herself available for students.”

Many also see Rios’ familiarity with NU as a key advantage.

“She knows how rigorous NU is and has a better understanding of what the Latino community needs,” said Weinberg senior and outgoing Alianza President Juanita Flores. “We definitely need that kind of support system.”

Reach Allan Madrid at [email protected].