Gunshot victim, 21, critically wounded

A Chicago woman was in critical condition Tuesday night after she was shot in an alley in west Evanston, police said.

LeShanda Apree Moore, 21, underwent emergency surgery at St. Francis Hospital, 355 Ridge Ave., Tuesday.

At about 2:15 p.m., someone called police and reported hearing gunfire on the 1800 block of Lemar Avenue, said Deputy Chief Joe Bellino of Evanston Police Department.

Moore was with a man in his 20s at the time of the shooting, Bellino said.

Police believe Moore and her companion were accosted by two males in their 20s, according to a statement released by EPD.

The suspects were armed and may have been attempting to rob Moore and the man she was walking with, Bellino said. A bullet entered Moore’s body near her abdomen and exited from her lower back, according to a statement.

No suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Residents in the neighborhood said shootings are unusual in the area.

“I’m in like shock city here,” Evangeline Fetherson said. “I’ve never felt uncomfortable at all (in the neighborhood).”

Still, many residents avoid walking in the alley between Lemar Avenue and Leland Avenue.

“You always see guys coming through the alley, doing their thing,” said Richard Mercer, whose garage opens into the narrow street.

Mercer’s wife, Mary, said she is going to be more cautious when she is near the alley.

“I’m going to make sure the garage door is closed before I get out of the car,” she said.

Henry Trowers, who lives in the 1800 block of Leland Avenue, said he was a bit nervous after learning about the shooting.

“It’s right at my back door,” Trowers said. “But I’m not going to go anywhere. The police will figure it out.”

EPD often receives gunshot reports, Bellino said. At about 7 p.m. Monday, someone told police about hearing loud noises that sounded like gunfire at the intersection of Main Street and Chicago Avenue, according to a crime bulletin. On Tuesday at about 1:30 a.m., police received a report of shots fired at Lee Street and Fowler Avenue. Police investigated both reports.

“Citizens report hearing shots fired and we respond,” Bellino said, but “sometimes it’s fireworks.”

Police circled the neighborhood for hours after the report. Officers canvassed residents and interviewed Moore’s companion. Evidence technicians investigated the crime scene, Bellino said.

By 7 p.m., the police had left and the neighborhood was quiet.

The Daily’s Chris Kirkham contributed to this report.

Reach Daniella Cheslow at [email protected].