Walker ready to announce ’05 recruits (Football)

Every year in early February, college football fans get a glimpse of the future when high school students sign National Letters of Intent, officially deciding where they plan to attend college.

If the verbal commitments hold true today, rivals.com expects Northwestern coach Randy Walker to have the 51st-best recruiting class in the country — ahead of Big Ten foes Minnesota, Illinois and Indiana. Last season NU was last in the Big Ten with the 78th-best class in the nation.

The Wildcats have 20 verbal commitments, including nine three-star recruits in the class that are considered “solid” commitments. NU’s tenth three-star talent, Chicago Harper wide receiver Rasheed Ward, is a “soft verbal” and is still considering Missouri. NU signed only two three-star recruits last year.

Of the other nine three-stars, there are three quarterbacks, two running backs, three offensive linemen and a linebacker.

NU’s highest-ranked recruit is Joliet Catholic Academy inside linebacker Chris Jeske, the rivals.com 19th-ranked inside linebacker in the country.

Jeske was the Chicago Sun-Times Chicagoland Player of the Year after a senior season in which he made 150 tackles and collected 12 sacks. He also was ranked the 12th-best player in Illinois by rivals.com.

“I just had a good feeling with the coaching staff and players,” Jeske said. “I thought I would be able to succeed here.”

The Cats also received a commitment from their second Ohio Mr. Football in four recruiting classes, running back Tyrell Sutton of Archbishop Hoban High School in Akron, Ohio. NU junior Jeff Backes was also Ohio Mr. Football as a running back, but he has since moved to cornerback.

Sutton ended his high school career as the all-time leading rusher in Ohio high school history, with 9,438 yards. He also set a new record with 38 consecutive 100-yard rushing games.

While there were seven players listed at quarterback on NU’s roster this year, including four freshmen, Walker did not shy away from recruiting more. He got commitments from four.

NU’s top quarterback recruit, Eric Peterman of Sacred Heart-Griffin High School in Springfield, Ill., is ranked the 21st-best rivals.com dual-threat quarterback. Peterman turned down offers from Wisconsin, Indiana and Air Force to come to Evanston.

Andrew Brewer of Jenks High School in Jenks, Okla., is ranked the 11th-best recruit from Oklahoma by rivals.com. Brewer, who saw NU upset Ohio State during his official visit, played quarterback and safety in high school but said he believes he will be a quarterback at NU.

“As far as I know, after watching my tape from last year, I think the coaches were pretty excited about me playing quarterback,” Brewer said. “I think my best shot is at quarterback.”

Adding Brewer, Peterman and Chicago St. Rita High School’s Mike Kafka to the seven players listed as quarterback on last year’s roster could lead to a nine-man quarterback controversy in 2006, when starter Brett Basanez leaves.

NU will hold a news conference at 6 p.m. today to announce the football recruiting class.

Reach Abe Rakov at [email protected].