D65 to review security policies following gun incident

The Evanston/Skokie School District 65 Board attempted to calm worried parents and residents Monday, after last week’s discovery of a revolver in a girls bathroom at Kingsley Elementary School triggered a school-wide lockdown.

Hardy Ray Murphy, D65 superintendent, said that the school’s safety plan was already being reviewed by police and fire officials when the incident occurred. Entrances and exits to the school, located at 2300 Green Bay Rd., were locked Tuesday while police collected evidence and began preliminary investigations.

“We are going to find solutions,” Murphy said. “The safety of our community’s children is the most important responsibility.”

Murphy said that not only are police and fire officials reviewing the school’s security policy, but administrators also are working to review safety procedures with the building and grounds staff. The school plans to make adjustments to the crisis management policy since it is focused more on natural disasters, instead of security breaches.

Board members said they hope to focus their attention on prevention methods, so similar incidents don’t happen again.

“Guns are readily available on the street and in the American home,” said board member Marianne Kountoures. “Our duty is to find (prevention methods) beyond locking the school doors. We want to prevent this from happening again.”

Murphy said schools will attempt to improve communication with parents and students about crises and other incidents involving student safety. Children were sent home with a note about the discovery of the gun Wednesday, a day after the incident. He said some parents were upset that they were not notified earlier.

Murphy said that because the event took place in the afternoon, the school made security the main priority over communication, deciding to delay notification.

“As procedures were being carried out, a decision was made,” he said. “(But we realize) that same-day communication is essential.”

Board members said that it is important that parents remain calm about the event and stressed that Kingsley Elementary continues to foster a safe atmosphere, regardless of last week’s incident.

“The vast majority of parents responded (well), but a small minority responded with hysteria,” said board member Jonathan Baum. “We have to focus on the kids. We not only want to make them safe, but make them feel safe.”

Reach Kate Ward at [email protected].