Indiana brings young, tested team to town

As tough schedules go, few teams take the cake like Indiana.

The Hoosiers lost six consecutive games in a brutal December stretch — to North Carolina, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Missouri and in heartbreaking fashion to Charlotte. But they have since rebounded to win three straight heading into the Big Ten opener, tonight against Northwestern at 6 p.m. in Welsh-Ryan Arena.

Indiana coach Mike Davis said the tough non-conference schedule may help his team in league play.

“It’s just like a new season for us,” Davis said. “Our pre-conference season was really tough for our young guys, but I think they learned a lot, and hopefully we can get it started off on the right track in conference play.”

The Hoosiers are led by preseason All-Big Ten selection Bracey Wright, who is averaging 18.8 points per game. Davis has criticized Wright for his play at times, but the junior guard has averaged 23 points in the last three games.

Aside from Wright, Indiana relies on two freshmen for offensive output. Forward D.J. White averages 12.4 points and 5.2 rebounds, while swingman Robert Vaden averages 9.7 points and five rebounds.

Wright, White and Vaden have started all 11 games for Indiana, and junior Marshall Strickland has started 10.

But four other players have rounded out the starting lineup.

Davis isn’t afraid to go to his bench and use a deep rotation, which includes substantial playing time for two other underclassmen, freshman guard A.J. Ratliff, the state’s Mr. Basketball last year, and sophomore forward Pat Ewing Jr., son of retired NBA star Patrick Ewing.

Like NU, the Hoosiers like the 3-pointer. Lacking a dominant inside scoring threat — White, with his 230-pound frame, is their best option — Indiana has launched 204 3s this season, but hit only 29.4 percent. NU has made 67 of 216 for 31 percent.

Reach Anthony Tao at [email protected].