Good’ play makes debut with ensemble cast

In the 18th century, the first group of convicts were shippedfrom Britain to Australia to live in a penal colony, guarded bybrutal British soldiers. More than 200 years later, the convictshave come to Evanston, this time under the scrutiny of audiencemembers at the Noyes Cultural Arts Center.

On Oct. 14, the Piven Theatre Company, 927 Noyes St., openedtheir production of “Our Country’s Good,” a Tony-nominated play byBritish playwright Timberlake Wertenbaker.

Set in 1788, the play centers on a group of convicts in Sydney,Australia, who perform a play of their own under the direction oneof the colony’s lieutenants.

“This play is perfect for us,” said the director, JenniferGreen. “It uses our talented actors in multiple ways. We tend towant to produce small, actor-generated pieces. It fits ourtheater’s mission.”

And the show definitely does showcase the actors’ talents, saidproduction manager Jennifer Sultz.

The cast of 11 actors perform 22 different roles throughout theplay, ranging from the leaders of the colony to the convictedcriminals.

“The ensemble couldn’t be better,” Sultz said. “It’s an amazinggroup of actors.”

“Our Country’s Good,” which is described as a dark comedy,involves such themes as redemption, punishment, love, language,loneliness and the way art influences a community.

“First and foremost, (the show) talks about the power of art andculture and what that can do to a society and an individual,” saidPaul Dunckel, who plays an insensitive major and a compassionatehangman in the play. “It shows how important that is tohumanity.”

James Meredith, who plays a captain and an Aborigine in theshow, said “Our Country’s Good” is dominated by questions ofredemption. He cited an example of a character who lacks confidencein justice, but eventually renews her faith because of herexperience with her fellow convicts and the lieutenant in the playwithin a play.

“It is possible to change a person’s view on life due to artwithin a community,” Meredith said, leaning back on a chair in thetheater’s front row, peering at the now-empty stage. “No soul islost.”

Sultz said the company had considered performing “Our Country’sGood” for a long time but did not decide to showcase the play untilnow because they seemed to have the perfect cast at the perfecttime.

“It’s a play that has been on the back burner for several years,but everything came together well to do it this year,” Sultz said.”We have an ensemble that is very collaborative. This seemed likethe right fit.”

The actors in the show said they share the same respect forGreen and Sultz and others who work behind-the-scenes.

“I have good friends and good colleagues (here),” Dunckel said.”If my phone rings and Jennifer (Green) is on the other side, Iwill be where she wants me to be.”

The cast members said they were more prepared for opening nightof the production since the company decided to introduce the playto audiences through previews prior to their first officialperformance, something that is rarely done with otherproductions.

“It really helped the show strengthen up,” Meredith said. “I’mhaving a blast.”

Tickets for “Our Country’s Good” are $10 for Northwesternstudents with a valid WildCARD, $23 for other students and seniorsand $25 for adults. The show runs through Nov. 21.

Reach Kate Ward at [email protected].