Weekend offers parents taste of NU

Parents who thought they’d never have to sit through another calculus class again may be in for an unpleasant surprise as Family Weekend kicks off Friday, giving new and returning students the chance to show their families a real taste of Northwestern life.

Siblings, parents and friends all are invited to attend the three-day Family Weekend festivities, which include attending classes with their students, cheering on the football team Saturday against Indiana and taking a campus tour.

“I’m excited,” said Jessica Wash, a Weinberg freshman. “It’s going to be really relaxing to shift my focus from school to being proud of what we do at Northwestern and showing my family around.”

Wash’s mother and younger brother flew in Thursday night from Austin, Texas. The family plans to attend Saturday’s football game and tour Chicago.

Like many students, Wash said one of the main attractions of Family Weekend was being able to show around the members of her family who couldn’t make it to New Student Week.

“My brother didn’t drop me off so I really want him to get a chance to see campus,” said Wash, who plans to take her 17-year-old brother to her Spanish and statistics classes.

Check-in for Family Weekend begins Friday in the Ohio State Room at Norris University Center at 10 a.m. Parents will have the opportunity to meet with the deans of the six schools at separate receptions in the afternoon. University President Henry Bienen will speak to parents at 8:45 a.m. Saturday in Norris’ Louis Room.

Families will also be able to experience the cultural aspects of NU during the weekend. The Fiedler Hillel Center will host a reception at 4 p.m. Friday in addition to holding Shabbat services at 5 p.m.

There also will be a Multicultural Center open house from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Around campus, students — and their parents — were equally looking forward to this weekend’s festivities.

Steve Walker, father of Weinberg freshman Blake Walker, flew in with his wife and daughter Thursday morning from Spokane, Wash., for Family Weekend. He said the family hopes to attend a few classes and even may give dining hall food a try.

“We’re excited to watch the exciting Northwestern football team continue,” Walker said. “And it’s just a good excuse to spend some time with our son.”

Reach Andrea Chang at [email protected].