Week presents local artists in performances, workshops

For one week local artists and performers will showcase theirtalents and share their secrets with the public as part ofEvanston’s fourth annual Arts Week.

Beginning Saturday the Evanston Parks/Forestry and RecreationDepartment will coordinate a series of performances and workshopsthat allow residents to interact with local artists.

“Here, the resident population is very progressive andinterested in knowing what’s next artistically,” said JasonLoewith, the artistic director of Next Theatre Company, 927 NoyesSt., who will be holding a season preview Oct. 2 for Arts Week.

Evanston Arts Week was revived by the city’s cultural artsdivision four years ago after it was discontinued in the 1980s. Thenine-day celebration is held in conjunction with the Illinois ArtsWeek, which begins Saturday as well. Evanston’s celebration,however, lasts two days longer than its statewide counterpart.

“We wanted to get two weekends in since more people areavailable (on weekends),” said Martha Logan, the public informationspecialist for the Parks/Forestry and Recreation Department.

Many artists said it is important for Evanston to hold its ownarts week since the artistic community is particularly prominent inthe city.

“I think Evanston is such a strong artistic and liberalcommunity,” said Jennifer Jolls, the general manager of the ActorsGymnasium, 927 Noyes St. “The people are very intellectuallyartistic. I think it’s fitting that Evanston has their own artsweek because of that fact.”

The Actors Gymnasium will be holding two magician showsbeginning Saturday and a gallery show with works by artist NabieRoyster, complete with a live circus performance.

Not only is an arts week beneficial for the viewing public, butartists said the festivities allow them to appreciate and learnfrom the work of their peers.

“The art community here is rich with growing artists,” saidB�a Rashid, the artistic director of the Evanston DanceEnsemble. “We all work (separately). We often don’t get to see eachother’s work. This is a great opportunity.”

Rashid’s company, as well as several other dance companies, willbe holding a showcase Saturday and an open house with free classeson Oct. 10.

For artists such as Valerie Schiff — who plans to hold aseminar on Plein Air painting and bronze casting Saturday –Evanston Arts Week functions as an opportunity to teach localresidents about their trade.

“This will be the first time that I am able to share myexpertise,” Schiff said. “It’s a nice thing to give back to thecommunity.”

Logan said the Evanston Arts Week events, which are free for themost part, add to the city’s unique artistic image.

“This puts an exclamation mark on Evanston,” Logan said.

A complete schedule for Arts Week and other information on theevents can be found on the city’s Parks/Forestry and Recreation Website atwww.cityofevanston.org/departments/parks/artsweek/index.shtml or byphone at 847-448-8058.

Reach Kate Ward at [email protected].