A&O to appeal Senate seat denial, argue it met criteria

A&O Productions will try to regain its Associated Student Government Senate seat tonight, asking senators to overturn a decision made by ASG’s Executive Committee. The move, if successful, could cost another student group a Senate seat.

After the annual Senate seat applications were submitted and reviewed by the Executive Committee, A&O learned it would not regain a senator spot.

ASG guidelines allow for senators from 22 student groups, but 26 organizations applied for spots this year.

If A&O regains a seat, ASG would need to take a seat away from another student group to maintain the 22-seat limit designated for groups by ASG’s constitution.

Because groups with seats might have to defend them, ASG Executive Vice President Howie Buffett said it’s “very important” for student group senators and representatives to attend tonight’s Senate meeting, which begins at 7 p.m. in the Northwestern rooms at Norris University Center.

A&O — the recipient of the largest amount of ASG student group funding this year– puts on entertainment programming throughout the year.

At tonight’s meeting, A&O leaders will address senators and ask them to reconsider the group for a spot, A&O co-chairman Brian Bockrath said.

Although he would not comment on what factors weighed the heaviest in reviewing groups’ applications for spots in Senate, Buffett said he would justify his committee’s decisions at tonight’s meeting.

ASG’s executive committee made decisions about which student groups to approve based on several criteria, including a group’s constituency, the number of students involved, previous history with Senate, past financial misconduct, length of existence and past Senate performance in deliberations.

But the committee’s decisions weren’t based solely on these factors, said Buffett, a Communication sophomore.

Bockrath said A&O members plan to address the criteria at Senate and argue the group met the standards.

“If you look at those criteria, A&O excels in those categories,” said Bockrath, a McCormick junior. “Clearly students have an interest in what we do, as evidenced by A&O events and similar events, like Dillo Day.”

“We’re a unique and valuable voice that helps Senate to serve the undergraduate student body,” he added.

Of the four groups that applied but didn’t receive a Senate seat, A&O is the only group that has stated an intent to appeal during tonight’s meeting, said Speaker of the Senate Matt Hall.

Senate also will elect both senator and non-senator positions to the Executive Committee and the Student Activities Finance Board.

Buffett said four positions need to be filled on his committee, two for senators and two for non-senators.

McCormick junior Zaid Pardesi, ASG financial vice president and SAFB chairman, said the finance board is looking to fill seven account executive positions.

In addition to A&O’s appeal and SAFB and executive committee elections, senators will vote on a bill calling for the creation of a socially conscious finances committee among Northwestern faculty and students.

The bill centers on examining how NU’s financial decisions affect social issues like workers’ rights, poverty and discrimination.